Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up an oddball m38 locally that appears to be an antique. It is dated 1895 as well as the 1939 date, double SA stamped, SA marked sling, and shows a lot of use. Was it very common to use an older barrel and rebore it to 7.35? I've not seen a Finn m38 like this before. Is there any way to verify the receiver is original, therefore an antique rifle? I'm not too familiar with the specific details of the Carcano yet.

You can see how the older hex shaped barrel shank was rounded off, and where they hit the front of the receiver.

I'll post more photos after it's in hand.

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,772 Posts
Yes, this is quite common in the 7,35 arms. Italian armorers wasted nothing - if a piece could be used, it was used however possible.

Check the bottom of the receiver ring. Some - but not all - will have a date there. Since the barrel was worn out and removed from service, the receiver was most likely made later. If you see something like 2 17 it also shows the month made. SW

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Also, check the tang to see if there is a five-pointed star marking there (or check for a star anywhere else on the receiver); a star indicates refurbishment, so if you have a refurbed receiver and a reworked barrel, it's likely that your M38 started out as an 1895 production Model 1891 and got totally reworked as an M38; this was not uncommon on the early M38s. The original Mod. 1891 magazine, trigger/sear group and bolt (with its handle bent) could have been, and probably were, refurbished. Ralph

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.