Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered a couple of boxes of .303 ammo, neither the seller nor I know what they're worth. The first is a cardboard container marked: 48 RDS .303 INCH L1A1 HXP 11-87-02 (the 02 is underlined). The second is a sealed metal box marked: 300 CTGS, CAL .303", BALL MK 7Z, 5 RD Clips, Bandolers, LOT 40 HXP-75. I want to offer him a fair price, but don't want to over pay. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
HXP is probably the best 303 ammo in the world - take his hand off.

From looking at US prices quoted, $1 / round may be a little bit high but probably not far off.

$1 / round for HXP will be cheap this time next year.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,777 Posts
I'd offer $200.00. HXP is good ammunition as long as it's been stored well. Poor storage can degrade ammunition over time.
The sealed metal box information indicates that that particular ammunition was manufactured in 1975. That's 39 years ago and who knows how it's been stored since.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,670 Posts
Great stuff. I need a box of that L1A1 ammo just for the label! When that hit the market there was mass confusion----stories of .303 chambered L1A1's. :laugh: Some of the stories overheard at gun shows........

·
Registered
273 Posts
HXP is probably the best 303 ammo in the world - take his hand off.

From looking at US prices quoted, $1 / round may be a little bit high but probably not far off.

$1 / round for HXP will be cheap this time next year.

a little aggressive there Alan, I wouldn't mind some too, but take his hand off? :) wish some of this would pop up in my reach.
cheers

·
2,751 Posts
Great stuff. I need a box of that L1A1 ammo just for the label! When that hit the market there was mass confusion----stories of .303 chambered L1A1's. :laugh: Some of the stories overheard at gun shows........
Hey limpetmine, PM me your address and I will post an empty box over to you. I'll even open it without tearing the top if I can, mate!

Here in Aus you will pay around 65 to 80 cents each for any empty brass for reloading. Even at $1 a round, the first shot is only costing you 20 cents, and the quality and lifespan of the reloadable brass is well worth the other 80 cents!

I got 60kg's left to empty out so I can start reloading them!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Hey limpetmine, PM me your address and I will post an empty box over to you. I'll even open it without tearing the top if I can, mate!

Here in Aus you will pay around 65 to 80 cents each for any empty brass for reloading. Even at $1 a round, the first shot is only costing you 20 cents, and the quality and lifespan of the reloadable brass is well worth the other 80 cents!

View attachment 781465
:grin::thumbsup:;)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Great stuff. I need a box of that L1A1 ammo just for the label! When that hit the market there was mass confusion----stories of .303 chambered L1A1's.
That sort of thing comes up all the time because people do not understand the the UK's nomenclature. That is to say L1A1 can refer to anything because it is used in the same way as the US MnAn system. As in M1 Rifle (Garand) and M1 Carbine - both M1s but not the same gun or even related.

Similarly, there was a British 7.62mm NATO round L42A1 for target shooting and sniping. It is a total coincidence that it has the same number as the L42A1 Sniper Rifle but people will still insist, incorrectly, that there is a connection.

·
2,751 Posts
That sort of thing comes up all the time because people do not understand the the UK's nomenclature. That is to say L1A1 can refer to anything because it is used in the same way as the US MnAn system. As in M1 Rifle (Garand) and M1 Carbine - both M1s but not the same gun or even related.

Similarly, there was a British 7.62mm NATO round L42A1 for target shooting and sniping. It is a total coincidence that it has the same number as the L42A1 Sniper Rifle but people will still insist, incorrectly, that there is a connection.
A good point for all to keep in the back of their minds, Beerhunter. My personal favourite is the No1 Mk1. Although I keep telling people it doesn't exist (The Sht LE Mk1 was not included in the name changes of 1926, so remained the Mk1 and is clearly stated in the LoC) the name No1 Mk1 refers to the first type of Patt 07 bayonet.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
....... the name No1 Mk1 refers to the first type of Patt 07 bayonet.
I'm afraid I must correct you on that - in fact the No1 Mk1 refers to a wire cutter which was introduced in 1916 and could be atached to either the No1 Mk3, the Ross or the P17 rifles

Cutters, Wire, S.A.No.1 Mark I: 60,000 ordered under contract 94/C/2849 dated 28 August 1916 - Completed

Breakers, Wire, S.A.No.1 Mark I: 15,000 ordered under contract 94/B/2997 dated 21 October 1917 - Completed

Breakers, Wire, S.A.No.1 Mark I: Continuation ordered under contract 94/B/3486 dated 4 December 1916 - 2,000 per week

·
Registered
2 Posts

View attachment 781465
you wouldn't want to get rid of some of that for a good price would you?????????

·
2,751 Posts
I'm afraid I must correct you on that - in fact the No1 Mk1 refers to a wire cutter which was introduced in 1916 and could be atached to either the No1 Mk3, the Ross or the P17 rifles

Cutters, Wire, S.A.No.1 Mark I: 60,000 ordered under contract 94/C/2849 dated 28 August 1916 - Completed

Breakers, Wire, S.A.No.1 Mark I: 15,000 ordered under contract 94/B/2997 dated 21 October 1917 - Completed

Breakers, Wire, S.A.No.1 Mark I: Continuation ordered under contract 94/B/3486 dated 4 December 1916 - 2,000 per week
I'll stand corrected at the moment until I find LoC references, but page 37 of SAIS No1 lists "Bayonet, No1 mk1" in the accessories
"British and Commonwealth Bayonets", page 194 shows Patt 1907 scabbards, No1 Mk1, No1 MkII, and No2 Mk1

Found it.. LoC A1635, Change in designation from Sword Bayonets Patt 1907 Mk1 to Bayonets, No1 mk1 (at the time when the MkIII and MkIII* became Rifle No1 MkIII and MkIII* in May 1926)

Thankyou for the challenge, Alan :) Just goes to prove again they recycled names as well as parts!

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I'll stand corrected at the moment until I find LoC references, but page 37 of SAIS No1 lists "Bayonet, No1 mk1" in the accessories
"British and Commonwealth Bayonets", page 194 shows Patt 1907 scabbards, No1 Mk1, No1 MkII, and No2 Mk1

Found it.. LoC A1635, Change in designation from Sword Bayonets Patt 1907 Mk1 to Bayonets, No1 mk1 (at the time when the MkIII and MkIII* became Rifle No1 MkIII and MkIII* in May 1926)

Thankyou for the challenge, Alan :) Just goes to prove again they recycled names as well as parts!
Not a problem - dont like to think of you sitting bored all day.
As you know - its the 'prefix' thats the important bit, for the wire cutters :

"Cutters, Wire, Small Arms, No1 Mk1", and in the case of your bayonet :

"Bayonet, No1 Mk1"

I'm sure there are thousands of items that have the nomenclature No1 Mk1.

·
2,751 Posts
Not a problem - dont like to think of you sitting bored all day.
As you know - its the 'prefix' thats the important bit, for the wire cutters :

"Cutters, Wire, Small Arms, No1 Mk1", and in the case of your bayonet :

"Bayonet, No1 Mk1"

I'm sure there are thousands of items that have the nomenclature No1 Mk1.
yes, but not an SMLE!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts