Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a little tongue-in-cheek diversion:

Did you know that the German Bundeswehr also used the 6,5x55mm cartridge until the 1980s? Surprise (for some)!

Now the challenge: name the weapon and its use!

Carcano

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is it cheating if we found the answer in Google Deutschland? That's a really neat factoid, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, since no one else has mentioned it, I guess I will. The 6.5x55 was used as a special training round for the 84mm Panzerfaust antitank weapon, which I gather was essentially an RPG. The Panzerfaust was supplied by Carl Gustaf, hence the use of 6.5x55 as the training round. There was a training round that used a flat, 0.6 gram projectile with 0.5 grams of fast powder behind it, and from what I can gather this was the training round, with a maximum range of 30m so that it could be fired indoors. Is that reasonably correct?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
6,5x55 övningsvapen ?

Indeed, Pomofo, indeed. The German Bundeswehr (and other armed forces worldwide as well) used a sub-caliber insert in their former heavy recoilless anti-tank weapon, the FFV Carl Gustaf in 84mm. These Swedish övningsvapen are very interesting, but few published material seems to exist (could anyone kindly search for the topic in Dana Jones' "Crown Jewels", please?).

Initially, these was such an insert developed for an early Swedish copy of the German late-WW II Panzerfaust; the practice was continued with the hulky 84mm Carl Gustaf. I remember having read that initially and in early versions, m/94 receivers and bolts were used as an övningsvapen for that purpose, but the later Carl Gustaf sub-caliber device looks quite differently.

Two loads were used in this insert:
- a gallery round (kammarpatron) for distances below 30 metres, maybe as short as 8-10 metres, and
- a special reduced tracer round for distances up to 100 metres.
This latter cartridge used a white-tipped 7,78 grams bullet and had a half-blackened case head to indicate the reduced load (which was necessary to copy the trajectory of the heavy anti-tank projectile).

Carcano

1 - 5 of 5 Posts