Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Vic,
I saw this scopeless rifle today at a local gunshow. Nagoya #5885, ground mum, mismatched sniper bolt #883, about 60% finish left. Stock not sanded but missing buttstock sling swivel.

Best regards,
Len

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Happy New Year Len S:

Yours is the first data report of 2009, thank you so much. A new number for the files, no matching number scope exists.
This at least lets us know that it survived till now, it also will help if you at least keep track of who the seller was by obtaining a business card or address; that way if there is a matching scope that can be had, you or somebody has a chance to follow through and make a match.
Thanks once again.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Hey vic

how about 2-t97 snipers? all matching Nagoya 6231....kokura 7537...both with mums...with bases...no scopes

happy new year
andy

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hey, hey, hey :

How about that 4 sniper reports in one day, that starts the new year right !.
Andy, don't temp me with just the carrot !!!!, are these rifles matching ?, original or sporters, some details would be useful.
Neither rifle has a matching scope at this time. Kokura 7537 is a new number for the files while Nagoya 6231 was reported last year and looks like it is being moved a year later.
Thanks for your reports, keep it up fellows !.
Vicasoto

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
God Almighty you had to ask !!!!!!!!

Well you're in luck as I got the book out to answer some new data.
1) Type - 38 snipers 7.
2) Type - 97 Kokura 377.
3) Type - 97 Nagoya 385.
4) Type - 99 Kokura 51.
5) Type - 99 Nagoya 367.
How is that for efficiency in the new year, we have already reports on 4 snipers today.
Vicasoto

·
Gold Bullet member
6,156 Posts
Vic, thanks that's quite a large registry. Also, I didn't know there were so many T-38 snipers out there !

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Morning Edokko-san :

Only two of the known T-38 snipers have ever changed hands, there are only four reported scopes. It is still the one to find in a major collection.
Oh yes I did not break down the Nagoya 99s as such, so the adjusted figures are :
a) Total of T-99 Nagoya snipers 367.
b) Cut-backs are now 100.
c) 4 power are 267.
By the way congratulations and adorations on your T-35 rifle, I have numbers on 21 standard Navy rifles, 18 Siamese marked, 7 pre-production without dust cover grooves could you send me the serial number of yours ?, could not read it well enough from the pictures, also the bayonet number and if it is marked with an anchor on the pommel.
Vicasoto

·
Gold Bullet member
6,156 Posts
Vic, thanks for the info on the T-38 sniper. That would surely be the holy grail of Japanese snipers (Except of course the midget submarine Type 2 DW sniper).

On the T-35, yes the serial number is difficult to see on the photos, but I will get you all the info once I receive the rifle and bayonet.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Hey, hey, hey :

How about that 4 sniper reports in one day, that starts the new year right !.
Andy, don't temp me with just the carrot !!!!, are these rifles matching ?, original or sporters, some details would be useful.
Neither rifle has a matching scope at this time. Kokura 7537 is a new number for the files while Nagoya 6231 was reported last year and looks like it is being moved a year later.
Thanks for your reports, keep it up fellows !.
Vicasoto
VIC

GOOD MEMORY...I BOUGHT THE NAGOYA LAST FEBUARY...WOW !! HAD IT A WHOLE YEAR...TIME FLIES BYE WHEN YOUR HAVING FUN, COLLECTING NIPPON ITEMS..I DIDN'T KNOW IF IT WAS RECORDED OR NOT...BOTH ARE MATCHING...FULL MUM's...ORIGINAL RIFLES...THE KOKURA NEEDS A LITTTLE STOCK WORK, BUT THE METAL IS 95%+ CONDITION. THE NAGOYA SHOULD STILL HAVE PICTURES POSTED IN ONE OF THE FOURMS...I BOUGHT IT FROM UNLEASHEDED...WHEN I GET THE KOKURA REPAIRED? I WILL POST PICTURES

HAPPY NEW YEAR
ANDY

·
Administrator
8,770 Posts
Howdy Vic

New here but I stumbled onto this thread and would like to list another sniper rifle to your list, its a Type 99 Nagoya all matching # 9929 no scope, ground mum, in 85 % condition and is in my firearm collection.

This rifle was bought by my father back in 1966 from a gun dealer in Cinti Ohio for $12.50.( I have the reciept) It was given to me for christmas back in 1978.
:D

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello Miller Tyme :

Somehow that rhymes with Miller time !, we just had a decent earth tremor a half hour ago about a half dozen miles from here, no beach front property yet.
Thank you for the information, it is a new rifle number for the files, looked at the known scopes reported, the nearest one is a 4 power adjustable issued to rifle # 9935. So the matching one has not surfaced yet.
The rifle base will accept either the fixed 4 power or the late Shibaura 4 power adjustable scope in most cases. The 4X fixed scope can be found for one to two thousand, but an adjustable you will be looking at thirtyfive hundred on up.
On the stickies above you will find threads on data and how to fill a data sheet, if you are interested in acquiring a scope please let me know as quite often I know where they are available for trade or sale.
Yours is a very late production rifle, probably '44-'45, we estimate production ended at 9999, the highest known rifle is 9988 and the highest issued scope is for rifle 9994, so yours is within 60 to 70 rifles from the end.
I have a number of minute questions to ask you, please contact me at my e-mail address at your convenience : [email protected]
Thanks for the help.
Vicasoto

·
Gold Bullet member
6,156 Posts
Vic, I received the T-35 bayonet from acman and the serial number is 34857. Pretty nice condition and interesting to note that the edge was never sharpened. It did not go through the 2/3 length sharpening treatment. The scabbard is from a T-30 bayonet, but is a very early variation, LBS-1 on Ray's book.

The rifle has been sent to my transaction dealer and am presently in the waiting period. Stay tuned for the serial number info on the rifle.

·
Administrator
8,770 Posts
Hello Miller Tyme :

Somehow that rhymes with Miller time !, we just had a decent earth tremor a half hour ago about a half dozen miles from here, no beach front property yet.
Thank you for the information, it is a new rifle number for the files, looked at the known scopes reported, the nearest one is a 4 power adjustable issued to rifle # 9935. So the matching one has not surfaced yet.
The rifle base will accept either the fixed 4 power or the late Shibaura 4 power adjustable scope in most cases. The 4X fixed scope can be found for one to two thousand, but an adjustable you will be looking at thirtyfive hundred on up.
On the stickies above you will find threads on data and how to fill a data sheet, if you are interested in acquiring a scope please let me know as quite often I know where they are available for trade or sale.
Yours is a very late production rifle, probably '44-'45, we estimate production ended at 9999, the highest known rifle is 9988 and the highest issued scope is for rifle 9994, so yours is within 60 to 70 rifles from the end.
I have a number of minute questions to ask you, please contact me at my e-mail address at your convenience : [email protected]
Thanks for the help.
Vicasoto

No problem, sent you an e-mail, glad to be of assistance. This was one of my dads most prized rifles and he was always on the lookout for a scope for it. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
T99 sniper from Nagoya.

Hello, I picked up my first T99 sniper rifle a few months ago and wanted to see if you'd be interested in putting it in your registery. It's serial number 7352, Nagoya, in great shape but no scope, no mum, and it was the wrong type bolt (straight handle). It came out of an old collection so I doubt it's listed anywhere. Thanks!

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello jd65 :

Thankyou so much for sharing the data on your rifle. I am so glad you fellows are coming forward, I had the feeling that there may be more than 5 % of the known production living quiet lives in USA collections. I say roughly 3 to 5 % of the rifles and scopes made have been recorded in various publications and research efforts by such folks as book authors Honeycutt, Allan, White, Price. I have been the repository of the numerical data since the 1990s and have been keeping data on my own since 1990.
It is thanks to folks like you that make this possible.
jd, you are right # 7352 is a new number for the files, ground mum, mismatch std. 99 bolt. The matching scope to your rifle has not surfaced yet. With that said I have a number of questions, this rifle falls in the transition period from small to large scope and that is a gray area.
In order not to tie-up this thread please check with me at my e-mail address so we can find out what exactly you have.
e-mail : [email protected]
Thanks once again.
Vicasoto

1 - 16 of 16 Posts