Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest incident (from Florida, of course) of a fatal shooting on the SYG front maybe be the next big case, maybe one that will bring about some changes to the law.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50000158/

THis one is really flakey. Michael Dunn confronted a grup of teens in an SUV to complain about loud music in a parking lot and wound up shooting one of them, according to him, because he thought he had been threatened with a shotgun. He went home after the shooting without reporting it. I can't see how he can get away with it, but there will, without question, be some serious repercussions from this.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
7,963 Posts
So a bunch of people (the usual suspects) are jumping on the get-rid-of-SYG bandwagon before we even know if it will be accepted as a defense. Typical.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,697 Posts
The latest incident (from Florida, of course) of a fatal shooting on the SYG front maybe be the next big case, maybe one that will bring about some changes to the law.

THis one is really flakey. Michael Dunn confronted a grup of teens in an SUV to complain about loud music in a parking lot and wound up shooting one of them, according to him, because he thought he had been threatened with a shotgun. He went home after the shooting without reporting it. I can't see how he can get away with it, but there will, without question, be some serious repercussions from this.
Since we don't really know what the facts are - who knows what he will and won't get away with? And the repercussions (except for Dunn - certainly for him) may or may not be serious. Even if Dunn ultimately beats the rap, his repercussions will be serious.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That the occassional utter dirtbag thinks he can get away with murder under those provisions does suggest to me that it was a bad idea to word the law so loosely.

As for Dunn, I hope he goes down for life. He had to get the gun out of his glove box by one report. You got time to dig out and load a weapon, you got time to boogie. If the kids had a shotgun, he made himself more vulnerablegoing for the weapon. At best he is a drooling moron.

Not calling the police was kind of a stupid idea, too, don't you think?

·
93,697 Posts
That the occassional utter dirtbag thinks he can get away with murder under those provisions does suggest to me that it was a bad idea to word the law so loosely.

As for Dunn, I hope he goes down for life. He had to get the gun out of his glove box by one report. You got time to dig out and load a weapon, you got time to boogie. If the kids had a shotgun, he made himself more vulnerablegoing for the weapon. At best he is a drooling moron.

I will agree that not calling the cops was dumb. Beyond that - don't have enough facts to have an opinion (except that Dunn put himself in an awkward posiiton by running and not reporting the incident).

·
93,697 Posts
I can't see any way that this fool walks.
Since you don't know any facts other than an allegedly noisy brat be dead and the alleged shooter didn't immediately call the cops, you have no basis for your comment.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts

...No, it's not " Another SYG claim "; The Travon shooting wasn't an SYG shooting. It was simple self defense. Zimmerman wasn't standing, he was on the ground getting his head bashed in by the thug Travon. Thank God and Florida law that Zimmerman had a gun and could defend himself and save his innocent life.

...That Dunn only shot the thug who was pointing a shotgun at him 'suggests to me' that he wasn't just out to kill a black teenager, but was protecting his life. If he was out to shoot black teens, he'd have surely killed the other three. Yes, Dunn should have driven to the copshop and explained the circumstances that required him to shoot this criminal, but that was after the fact and has no bearing on the legality of this self defense shooting. None whastsoever.

...I will defer to your superior knowledge of " drooling morons ".

·
Registered
6,319 Posts

MS-DNC as a credible source for anything? Really? Why not the Daily Kooks, Puffington Post or the DimocratsInTheBasement dot com? Banana exploded.gif

·
Super Moderator
16,497 Posts

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
....Karl's kinda quiet................must be getting his latest arguing points at the Party meeting tonight.

·
93,697 Posts
Just an FYI in case anyone missed the announcement in the main stream media, the governor's panel that was set up to review the SYG law, after the Zimmerman case made it national news, concluded that the law is reasonable as written and does not require any substantial modification.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/stand-your-ground-panel-keep-self-defense-law-inta/nS5yj/
Seems a thoroughly reasonable and justified conclusion to me.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,671 Posts

Sounds like it was self defense and justified. Would not have happened but for the lack of respect shown by the people in the SUV.

·
58,671 Posts

You may run, but I do not have to.

·
58,671 Posts
The way I read the law, if you start the fight, you do have to try to run. No way on earth that Dunn did not start the fight.
I guess the other people having a shotgun is not a factor.

·
58,671 Posts
You don't get to pick a fight, then shoot somebody just because they disrespect you.

The lack of respect was the initial cause. He complained. They pulled a shotgun and he defended himself.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts