Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's the difference between an m95 Carbine and an m95/34?

Also...I've seen 4 versions of m95 carbines (using the term carbine in a general fashion), and they are:

Short rear sight, solid loop on rear barrel band
Short rear sight, swivel on side of rear barrel band
Long rear sight, solid loop on rear barrel band
Long rear sight, swivel on side of rear barrel band

What makes these different (other than the obvious) and what would be the proper nomenclature for each one. For instance, the one I used to have had the short rear sight, solid loop on the side of the rear band, and had the stacking hook and bayonet lug. What did I have?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well, the 95/34 is really a 95/30. The difference lies in the conversion to 8x56R for the M95/30 vs. the 8x50R of the M95.

·
Administrator
11,949 Posts
The proper name is determined by the location and the type of the sling attachment points, as well as the provision for bayonet and presence of stacking rod. The length of the rear sight only points at the original length of the gun (long rifle or short/carbine) and not always - I have a carbine with banded front sight, but short rear sight that used to be a long rifle. I know it used to be a long rifle, because it is a Bulgarian contract Steyr 1903, and no carbines have been ever reported in this contract year:

The official Austrian nomenclature of the short weapons was (is):
  • Repetier-karabiner - side sling attachment, no stacking rod, no bayonet attachment
  • Repetier-stutzen - lower sling attachment, stacking rod, bayonet lug
  • Repetier-karabiner mit oberem stutzenring - upper band replaced with one from a stutzen (bayonet lug, stacking rod)
  • Karabiner-stutzen - stutzen with added side sling attachment points
  • Stutzen-karabiner - karabiner with added lower sling attachment points.

The karabiner and stutzen had different distances between the bands (longer with the karabiner).

Sling bars were a feature of the carbines, but through the countless repairs they could be found an other configurations.

The model designation M.95 applies to the weapons in the original 8x50R; M.95/30 and 31.M are the Austrian and Hungarian names respectively of the weapons, converted to 8x56R.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'm ordering a "Steyr M95 Carbine" tomorrow...I'm anxious to get it and see exactly what I end up with. I sure wish I could get back the one I used to have...I may have to at least borrow it to take pictures of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts