Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sniper from R-Guns just arrived. I took a few pics to show what I ended up with. Its a 44 Tula. It appears to be heavily re-worked compared to some of the others shown. The bolt is stamped but does not have the crylic prefix, it also has the early style cocking knob. All bolt parts are Tula. The magazine is a funky plum color. Don't know how that happened. The floor plate is stamped with crylic prefix, and matches the barrel. The receiver is dated 43 on the tang, no other markings. The stock is a replacement. Good shape but no neat markings. The butt plate is stamped but again no prefix. The barrel and scope number match. There is no number on the mount but it has the Tula star stamped on it. The scope itself is showing some wear but the optics are clear.

Take a look and let me know what you think. I'm still looking it over and trying to figure out exactly what I got.

Mike

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
I think I've read somewhere that the "purplish" magazines were used by the female sniper battalions.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,561 Posts
Beautiful sniper!

OK, here some of the things I see. Stock is a replacement refurb part. It has a repair at the left side of the receiver. It was not originaly a sniper stock, but now is. Scope is a '44 made one by a uncommon maker. Scope # on bbl shank on a Tula sniper is very uncommon, yours is only the second one I have seen. I have the other one ! Plum magazine, uncommon, way cool! Don't know anything about it! Bolt has a very different bend to it. And, I see no refurb mark on the bbl shank. I think as we get to see more of these R guns snipers, many different and unique features will be discovered. I'm here grinding the eggshells into the carpet, hoping the BBT will show this afternoon with my sniper. Congrats 66rdster, that is one nice uncommon sniper you have!

·
Registered
437 Posts
66rdster,

The barrel and scope serial number match, you lucky S*B. I wish I had the money to drop on one of these. Nice looking rifle.

Mike

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
just a guess that the magazine was reblued like the bolts on the svt's which resulted in the purple color. i dunno though. barney could have been a russian sniper. that damn purple dinosaur

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
just a guess that the magazine was reblued like the bolts on the svt's which resulted in the purple color. i dunno though. barney could have been a russian sniper. that damn purple dinosaur
If it's similar to the Finn B barrels, I believe it was a high nickel content in the bluing solution that causes the "purple haze".

·
Administrator
59,051 Posts
Got my Tula today 66 and looks pretty much like you are describing except the right side of my mag is plum and the left is blued.

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
It appears that the gun during refurbishment received a new stock and bolt. The magazine is a neat one and to boot it has a stamped floorplate. Nice. I remember your gun distinctly because of the magazine. Had that little puppy in my mits...

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
If it's similar to the Finn B barrels, I believe it was a high nickel content in the bluing solution that causes the "purple haze".

I thought it was a high nickle content in the base metal, not the solution. I also think that JPS had concluded this.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks,
There do seem to be a lot of unique things about this gun once you start looking at it.

Creepie,
As far as I know the scope is a war time scope dated 44, same as the rifle.

unbekannt,
The optics on the scope are clear and sharp. The bore and muzzle on the rifle are excellent.

Hi Duane,
Looks like you've been paying attention to the details. Your observations are interesting. I didn't know that the scope # on the barrel was that uncommon on a Tula. There are no re-furb marks on the barrel shank nor the scope. Yours should be hear soon, I can't wait to see some pics.

Hey curly1,
I guess if purple mag means mine was used by the female snipers yours must be the uni-sex model. Just kidding. Post some pics when you get a chance.

So Vic, you got to handle it while you where there? Cool. I wouldn't mind hearing more of your thoughts on it.

About the only thing I'm a bit disappionted with is the stock. It looks beautiful but I do wish it had the original stock. Keep those comments coming. Its always interesting to hear what your thinking and its helps me learn a lot more about these guns.

Mike

·
Platinum Bullet Member
512 Posts
OK, here some of the things I see. Stock is a replacement refurb part. It has a repair at the left side of the receiver. It was not originaly a sniper stock, but now is.
Are you sure it was not originally a sniper stock?

Was looking at that repair and was thinking that it might have been a a de-snipered stock, perhaps for a different type of mount. Have seen quite a few rifles with similar repairs and figured they were orignally sniper stocks that have been refurbed back to normal stocks. This would explain what happened to all of the stocks for the many ex-snipers we have been seeing.

First time I have seen a repaired stock recut with a new sniper notch. Had considered buying one or two rifles with that repair and using them on resnipered ex-snipers, but was concerned about the strength after the addional cut. I can now see that the arsenal folks were not concerned and have done exactly what I was considering doing...

tim

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,561 Posts
Nothing to be dissapointed about!

Your rifle is absolutely correct as it is. Wherever these rifles were, they were kept in top shape. Parts were replaced as needed. Having the scope number on the bbl shank on a Tula, and the matching scope mounted, it just don't get no better than that!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,561 Posts
Repaired stock

Timdps, The repair in his stock starts, at its foreward end, well behind where the cut for the pu base is located. Repairs at this location are fairly common, as some Mosin stocks, depending on the grain of the wood, can develop a crack in this area. I don't know of any other base used on WW2 Mosin snipers, other than the PEM long side rail, and it starts much further foreward than the pu base. Maybe Vic can shed some light on this?

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
The most common repair or job done during refurbishment was the replacment or refinshing of the stock and handguard. It is not uncommon at all to se this. Its a noin issue for me if the gun is in excellent shape otherwise.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts