Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this would interest some folks. This Sherman tank was attempting to extract a Company of Marines out of the Peleliu ridges during an ambush and struck a mine (500lb aerial bomb planted in the ground). The explosion killed everyone but the tank commander who was blown from the turret. In addition, the Marine Company commander, who was trying to direct the tank's fire, was killed in the turret. Several crew burned alive. The tank still rests in the position it was destroyed with a huge blast hole in the bottom. The ammo cooked-off and the tank burned for two days. In 1999 I lead the tank commander back to his tank. A very emotional experience for him. War is hell...

-eric

·
Registered
477 Posts
Holy crap. There aren't any remains left inside are there? I really hope not...

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
That site & tank should be preserved & memorialized! That place sounds like a complete research expedition would be very worthwhile - for both sides, especially if done by both sides. Amazing how much is left as it was then!

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Wowzers !! that is one heck of a war relic and monument. Is this tank in the back bushes also ? You are a fantastic researcher too...

·
Gold Bullet member
11,320 Posts
You really need to put out a book with lots of pictures and stories like this. I can only imagine the reaction of the tank commander 55 years later. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Another never-before-seen battlefield photo.Never saw this one in all the books I have on Peleliu.Nor in the recruiting stations either.One can`t begin to imagine the images that the men who survived brought home only to resurface once the exhilaration and handshaking
was over.For some of them the war never ended,niether did the nightmares.Your photos
are great, they tell a true story of war at the battle site,thanks again.

Charlie

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tank was discovered in 1994. Took me 6 years to research and track the survivor down. Remains removed but the dog tag of one of them was found years later in the tank. Lots of roasted ammo still inside along with the twisted 30-cal. MG. I interviewed half dozen eyewitnesses. Sounded like a hot fire-fight. I presented a plaque to the island governor in memory of the deceased. It is now a historical site with monument nearby. Found an LVT(A)4 in the jungle with name and ID still intact. Found the only survivor of that armored amphib too. Took him back to his tank in 2004. Stay tune for more photos...

-Eric

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can any tank experts out there tell me what is unusual or interesting about this tank? Look carefully...Clue...it helped me track down the story to the tank..

-Eric

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Can any tank experts out there tell me what is unusual or interesting about this tank? Look carefully...Clue...it helped me track down the story to the tank..

-Eric
Those things had more variations than a Type 99. But the "grill" over the front drive seems unusual. And the co-drivers position is different than most I've seen. That said, I really don't know. :confused:

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,049 Posts

-Eric

Looks like a late M4 that has a cast hull or maybe a composite cast/welded hull because of where the ventilators are on the front corners of the hull and the siren's own position next to the left light with it's own guard.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good observations but start thinking about identification features that would help place the unit this tank belonged too....whooops, did I just give the answer away!

-Eric

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
Looks like there's something painted on the front of the tank. An "A" or a "1"??

·
Registered
208 Posts
Adogs,you beat me to it.While I was craning my neck to see if it was an A or 1 your post appeared.In my opinion it`s an A painted on the hull.

Charlie

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
Did I win??? What do I get? :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Adogs,if you`re lucky and this country doesn`t go broke before then,you can collect
Social Security when you reach age 67 (new bill before Congress).

Charlie

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys need glasses! LOL! Look at the front of the hull. See part of a faded white Star? Yup, that's an Army tank, not Marine. Her name was "Honeysuckle Rose" and she belonged to A Company of the 710th Tank Battalion. Have a look at the starboard turret and you can see the dent made from a 37mm AT gun that struck the tank a few days prior. By the way, Marine tanks didn't have Star insignia, made for an obvious target. They also sported diesel engines as compared to radial aircraft engines placed in Army Shermans. Marine tanks also had spare, steel treads applied to the front of the hull and side of the turret for added protection.

Too bad none of you won the grand prize. Guess you should just stick with Japanese weapons/equipment..ha, ha!!

-Eric

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
Well, s**t - I tried! Where else could you find military history, literally frozen in time like this? Amazing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Eric,the best part is that I have my glasses on! LOL!
P.S. Thanks for the I.D. of who the tank belonged to.Will see my optomotrist ASAP.

Charlie

1 - 20 of 26 Posts