Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I’ve been on a roll with the 1950 SKS this year! Here’s one from a few months back:Share thread! 1950 non refurb Tula SKS

I just got one in the mail today and couldn’t be more please. Absolutely beautiful. 100% matching. The stock serial and cartouche are faint but they are there and correct 1950 and serial.

the curious part is the black bayonet. I know these scream refurb but there are no refurb marks to be found and this rifle is immaculate even on the inside. Also there are no diamond inspection stamps by the cross bolt... the finish on the bayonet is immaculate.

many thoughts that this could be perhaps a transitional bayonet from the spikes to the blade? Anyone seen something like this? Any info appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
in your opinion, is the bayo the only refurbed part?

does the lack of diamond stamps by the cross bolt as typically found mean anything?
There are some refurbished rifles that lack the crossed diamond stamp, but the fact your stock isn't force matched may be evident of a light refurb by an armorer throwing on a new bayonet before putting it in storage. I've also never personally seen an electropenciled magazine catch, but that's the only other thing that stands out to me about your rifle. Otherwise it looks great!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are some refurbished rifles that lack the crossed diamond stamp, but the fact your stock isn't force matched may be evident of a light refurb by an armorer throwing on a new bayonet before putting it in storage. I've also never personally seen an electropenciled magazine catch, but that's the only other thing that stands out to me about your rifle. Otherwise it looks great!
yes the EPed mag catch I definitely noticed too.. I never quite got why seemingly unused rifles got a part or two refurbed

anyhow, a non refurb stock is always a big win, especially on a 1950. I’m a purist, don’t really like non-original things, but I do have a soft spot for the blued bayos. Couldn’t pass it up at a real sable price 😎

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I wouldn't call this a refurb. It appears to be an all original parts carbine. The stock has been refinished and the bayonet blued, but these could very be attributes of protection and scheduled upkeep during storage where it appears to have spent a considerable amount of time.

One of the hardest all original parts carbines to find.

Can you post photos of the butt plate and muzzle?

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
I wouldn't call this a refurb. It appears to be an all original parts carbine. The stock has been refinished and the bayonet blued, but these could very be attributes of protection and scheduled upkeep during storage where it appears to have spent a considerable amount of time.

When a gun has parts that are refinished, it is refurbished.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
FANTASTIC catch!! Didn’t notice that...

Are we 100% that blued bayos were not until late 50s?
There is no evidence that blued or golden bayonets are original. The evidence suggests that they blued and golden dipped bayonets were done post production. But they are not immediately indicators of refurbishment.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
You will find that the bayonet screw is no longer originally staked on your blued bayonet, which means that it was installed after original assembly. Never has original screw staking been observed with blued bayonets.

So, blued blade bayonets are always post-original. Always.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Here you are

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
BBQed matte silver bayonets, that show their stripes with the stock ferrule notch nick in the BBQ more oft than not.... refurb.
Blued bayonets are a different breed.
I have seen Russian auctions, where the seller had both the typical matte silver, and the blued. Both listed for the same price, but the blued ones included a bit of a description regarding them, that for no monetary gain...seemed to have offered some intel. According to the seller, there was a relatively small amount of blued bayonets requisitioned for the KGB. It did not specify a reason why, but seemed to try to explain why they were different...more so than 'special'. It seemed as if the seller didn't LIKE the blued vs the silver. This lent me a bit more ability to chalk the statement up to being fairly reliable, considering most of what is considered law via dogma in the collectors world is based on observation, specualation...and occasionally analysis. The seller gave me the impression of them being 'black sheep' out of his offerings.
This would lead me to consider the reason that blued bayonets are never seen staked is because they were swapped out for a special purpose, not due to some whimsical thing to do at refurbishment by a bored armorer. The OP's gun leads me to think so even more than I had already hunched on my own. It is nice to see so many in the know surprised as I was by that EP'd mag release.... NEATO huh!? Odd things seem to happen at random 70 years ago in Russia while the gun still was being tweaked in it's development.

I have also heard over the years that 50s were guns that were most often seen with blued bayonets....combine that with more recently uncovered documentation regarding Russia finally adopting the SKS, but demanding a blade bayonet system, that hadn't been developed....and that early 50 guns for at least the first couple months of production were produced using the remaining spikes. One might then also consider if the KGB wanted a batch with blued bayonets, it would be some time around the adoption of the short lived lil buggers rather than later....hence the lore I have read about the 50s being the more commonly seen with blued bayonets seeming to hold more water.

I am curious about why there are also so few hard chromed blades in comparison to the matte silver....but I have seen enough out there that I don't believe they were all for parades. But I haven't seen much debate about those, so I don't really know what to think about them.
I have always found the golden bayonets to be weird, like they were left that way...but were left in a state of metal prep for a different destined finish...that didn't happen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.