Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, one more, BRITISH B.S.A. NO.4 MARK 1(T) now. Fully packed, with the shipping crate, scope, ammo, 2 mags. Admittedly, know nothing about them.
asking price is $6800. Would appreciate any and all advice.
Wood Tool Garden tool Material property Rectangle
Wood Rectangle Composite material Gas Automotive exterior
Revolver Wood Everyday carry Gun accessory Hunting knife
Trigger Air gun Bag Gun barrel Shotgun
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun
Air gun Wood Trigger Bicycle part Gun barrel
Wood Trigger Bicycle part Gas Gun accessory
Wood Silver Nickel Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior
Wood Natural material Hardwood Automotive exterior Wood stain
Wood Gas Nozzle Cylinder Font

·
Registered
869 Posts
Looks good.
Rifle and scope have not been dicked with.
Appear to be all matching and not a forced match.
A nice find.
On the scope: do the adjustments feel tight or do they even move?
The adjustments should have a nice zzzzip sound and move freely.
If not. drop me a pm.
It can be fixed but it can be a bargaining tool when buying if they do not work.
Also, make sure the reticle moves when the turrets turn.
Sometimes the reticle freezes in the scope and you end up breaking it when removing the reticle to repair the turrets.
It is NOT a bid deal to repair, just an extra process that you really do not need.
I do cross hairs and jammed turrets every week.
Good luck on your find.....:):):)

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good.
Rifle and scope have not been dicked with.
Appear to be all matching and not a forced match.
A nice find.
On the scope: do the adjustments feel tight or do they even move?
The adjustments should have a nice zzzzip sound and move freely.
If not. drop me a pm.
It can be fixed but it can be a bargaining tool when buying if they do not work.
Also, make sure the reticle moves when the turrets turn.
Sometimes the reticle freezes in the scope and you end up breaking it when removing the reticle to repair the turrets.
It is NOT a bid deal to repair, just an extra process that you really do not need.
I do cross hairs and jammed turrets every week.
Good luck on your find.....:):):)
Thanks for your comment. Elevation works, the windage doesn’t. Is it DIY or I’d need to send it somewhere?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also it seems that 1 blued magazine isn’t numbered and the other one is phosphated - shouldn’t it be matching?

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Thanks for your comment. Elevation works, the windage doesn’t. Is it DIY or I’d need to send it somewhere?
Hopefully turret isn't seized. This is Mark3 type scope so nobody should be messing with center screws since you can just slip scales on it, but sometimes people want to center perfectly "clicks" so they work on the screws and they crank it up to the max when done centering...I would try to unscrew little bit center "nut" on that windage turret and see what happens. Don't force anything, don't try to turn turret by force.
BTW, how is the reticle looking on that scope, crisp and sharp?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully turret isn't seized. This is Mark3 type scope so nobody should be messing with center screws since you can just slip scales on it, but sometimes people want to center perfectly "clicks" so they work on the screws and they crank it up to the max when done centering...I would try to unscrew little bit center "nut" on that windage turret and see what happens. Don't force anything, don't try to turn turret by force.
BTW, how is the reticle looking on that scope, crisp and sharp?
Thanks Rob. I haven’t purchased the rifle yet, it’s still on the table. The guy doesn’t move on price, $6850 firm. Reticle and glass are very nice, appear new like.

UPD he said he’s gonna sell it online for more and the buyer doesn’t even get to touch the turrets 😂

·
Registered
869 Posts
The profile on the butt is standard for a replaced scope.
As to the turrets or one being seized.
Not a big problem.
Price is good.....
Contact me off line on the scope, if you want.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The profile on the butt is standard for a replaced scope.
As to the turrets or one being seized.
Not a big problem.
Price is good.....
Contact me off line on the scope, if you want.
Thanks Wheaty, I passed on it. If his friend doesn’t take it, as he said, it will pop up online :)
Frankly, the box wasn’t exactly numbered to the rifle - just faded yellow sheet with letter Z and some numbers unrelated to serials on the rifle, hodgepodge of mags, not working turret. I had a strong feeling that rifle was fine-ish, while chest was a fantasy piece (it seemed actually Canadian shipment, marked Chicago with black paint over white No - sorry, no pictures). And the seller who says he didn’t give a sh^t about non-correct PEM (same guy had it for sale), and he bought it coz he liked it and then saying that this rifle is all correct, otherwise he wouldn’t buy it :) Too much hassle for a so so bargain.

·
Registered
13,300 Posts
Also it seems that 1 blued magazine isn’t numbered and the other one is phosphated - shouldn’t it be matching?
Neither of my 1945-produced No.4Mk.1(T)'s have numbered magazines. Numbering the magazines was done postwar, and evidently not all of the rifles in service at the time got the treatment.

·
Registered
13,300 Posts
The serial number on the buttstock doesn't match the rest....Bodes
Actually, it does. The number stamped on the wrist of the stock is supposed to match the scope's serial number, which it does.

This rifle is one of the relatively rare examples in the US of a rifle with all-matching accessories.

The rifle, (wrist matches scope) , scope, and mount (serial number on mount matches the rifle serial number) all came together in Holland & Holland's workshop in 1945, and evidently has stayed together since.

When these rifles were imported to the US, the scopes and scope cans were shipped separately from the rifles, and it was going to be too much trouble to match them all up again, even if all the stuff that was shipped originally matched (not all the stuff imported was matching the rifles they belonged with. See the next paragraph for an example I am familiar with) . Typically, they would take a scope can off the top of the pile, put it in the transit chest with whatever rifle was next, and shipped them out.

A few years ago, I had a scope (I had it in the US since 1970) that I was informed (there are people who watch for this and inform owners when they can match things up) matched the wrist number on a rifle still in England (the mount I had did not match, his rifle, though). The rifle's owner and I negotiated a scope trade.

Long (and very frustrating) story short, now the scope and the rifle in England now are together. One little victory over chaos. .

All matching accessories is a big plus for the rifle discussed here, as by far the majority of No.4 Mk.1(T)'s out there are mismatched. This is worth a bit of a premium.

Also, in my experience, the numbers on the outside of the transit chests do not usually bear any relation to any number you will find on the rifle.

·
Registered
869 Posts
A Canadian chest has a different type of leather handle
The leather is folded and sewn while the British one is folded and formed.
If I still have a few spare handles around I will post a picture of the British handle as I had one or two spares.
Just gotta find the stuff.
On the right hand end of the Canadian chest you will find a C broad arrow and quite often the initials "HCF" and the date.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Thanks Wheaty, I passed on it. If his friend doesn’t take it, as he said, it will pop up online :)
Frankly, the box wasn’t exactly numbered to the rifle - just faded yellow sheet with letter Z and some numbers unrelated to serials on the rifle, hodgepodge of mags, not working turret. I had a strong feeling that rifle was fine-ish, while chest was a fantasy piece (it seemed actually Canadian shipment, marked Chicago with black paint over white No - sorry, no pictures). And the seller who says he didn’t give a sh^t about non-correct PEM (same guy had it for sale), and he bought it coz he liked it and then saying that this rifle is all correct, otherwise he wouldn’t buy it :) Too much hassle for a so so bargain.
Sounds like you liked the rifle but the owner/seller not so much....personality goes a long way does it not. Tipped the scales it seems... I know what you mean tho, buying would be rewarding dumb assery.... think about it tho and maybe get back to him if you can get beyond his persona....

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like you liked the rifle but the owner/seller not so much....personality goes a long way does it not. Tipped the scales it seems... I know what you mean tho, buying would be rewarding dumb assery.... think about it tho and maybe get back to him if you can get beyond his persona....
Absolutely so. Emotional over rational, didn’t have a good sleep and let it win :) the rifle was indeed nice, but I’m back home 800 miles from it, almost over it :)

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But I’d still say that one thing that really bothered me (seller being an asshole not so much, he didn’t have to like me either) was jammed turret. I know that Weaty said it’s not a big deal, but that’s what ultimately stopped me from handing over the price tag amount.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I get all of that... keep your eye out...you'll find one. BTW, how many snipers did the Brits make in the model you are looking for?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts