Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read some where, cant remember though, that in the early days of Sino Soviet cooperation, that the russian supplied China with parts to assemble their first Type 56's.
The Chinese made the recivers on Russin tooling and assembled them.
Looking at my SKS I can see proof marks that match my Russain Tula '51 & '54....note the balckend bolt, un-numberd laminated stock with an X-box, blade bayonet with a circle "V" with a serif on the bottom. The varnish is thick in the Chinese way, covering the buttplate and stock bolts...the rear sight has the upsidedown "U" on the battel setting.
On first glance it appears to be Russian though the upper wood is solid hard wood.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, I have been watching the info recently emerge on these.
I wish I knew a little more about them.
The reason I am posting in your thread is I notice that yours is also in the 9,000,000 serial range. Most but not all of the Chinese laminated seem to be in that range.
My example included.
Mine has the white gun metal bolt rather than darkened and the stock is quite a bit darker that yours.
It has been suggested that these were put together for Egypt, but I do not know where that idea comes from.
Mine has "China" in the import mark.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,077 Posts
Egyptian guns have a spike bayonet and I have not seen one with a blade before.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
3,850 Posts
I'd say that someone has replaced the stock.....most of the Sino-Soviet's that I've seen have been hardwood stocks and not laminates, besides, that stock has the square with diagonal slash denoting a rework. The Sino-Soviet rifles had the stocks numbered to the rifle. Just my .02 worth.

·
SKS GOD OF GUNBOARDS
1,710 Posts
thats true for what i have seen

I'd say that someone has replaced the stock with a Russian stock as it has the square with the diagonal slash thru it denoting a Russian rework. I understood that the Russian stocks that the Egypt had were not totally to a smooth, fine lacquared finish that the Russians put on them and the Egyptians finished them, yet they still didn't totally smooth the grain as fine as the Russians did...I might be wrong, but, heh, oh well....
all the stocks i have seen were russian supplied and no markings were on them by the way some were in a greenish tint finish

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,462 Posts
Vic, One of my Chinese SKS rifle with the laminated stocks also has a blade bayonet. I agree that these were never actually produced by the Chinese, and were most likely Egyptian rebuild rifles.

Still a very interesting variation. Here is a link to my post with photos of my rifles showing the blade vs the spike bayonet.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=7177

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
My money is on somebody putting a russian stock on it...they probably couldn't find a chinese stock with a slot for the blade bayonet, so went with ruski. Also in my observations the Egyptian rebuilds had a black finish to the metal not a blued finish. The bolt looks cold blued to me if I had to guess.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Hi, I have been watching the info recently emerge on these.
I wish I knew a little more about them.
The reason I am posting in your thread is I notice that yours is also in the 9,000,000 serial range. Most but not all of the Chinese laminated seem to be in that range.
My example included.
Mine has the white gun metal bolt rather than darkened and the stock is quite a bit darker that yours.
It has been suggested that these were put together for Egypt, but I do not know where that idea comes from.
Mine has "China" in the import mark.

A couple of months ago I picked up a Arsenal 26 BLADE SKS in lam stock w/lam hand guard. It has white bolt, NO stock # but other (milled) parts are matching #s. The S/N is ALSO in the 9 Mil range and the stock is RED tinted rather than the Golden color often see. Had to shell out $200 to the walkin who had it. :rolleyes: Almost erased CAI import marks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a little information if it is of any interest to anyone,I sent back an SKS from Quang Tri Viet Nam in 1968. It has a Russian receiver s/n K161X
The stock is a red/black laminated wood of some type. The Chinese wood did not fare well in the jungle, we destroyed many captured weapons with the stocks almost rotted off. they wrapped them with wire in an attempt to make them functional.The stock on my rifle was probably put on by a soldier in the field as the numbers don't match the rifle which is all matching. Evidence the stocks were supplied from either China or Russia.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,462 Posts
No there are no stampings to indicate where they came from.

The stock of the rifle which is the subject of this post appears to be lighter than my "Chinese" laminated stocked rifles. As there are no photographs of the stock having the rifles serial number stamped into it I would assume it is a replacement stock probably done by Century before they sold it .

Pretty rifle though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The stock is un-numbered....I dont believe the Chinese made laminated stocks....I do believe though, that the Russians supplied the Chinese replacement parts AND surplus parts to help their production of the Type 56 get off the ground.

Take a look at your Chinese laminated (very nice weapons by the way) and tell me if the proofs are not identical to the Soviet...where as typical Type 56's do not show these proofs, plus there are too many, similar to Soviet, parts on these Type 56's to be coincendental....blackend bolt carriers....blade bayonets etc. . Examine a blackend bolt carrier of a Soviet SKS and one cant help but see they are identical.

Anyone know the approx. year of production of these 9 mill. range Type 56's?

·
Admin Emeritus
19,077 Posts
A couple of months ago I picked up a Arsenal 26 BLADE SKS in lam stock w/lam hand guard. It has white bolt, NO stock # but other (milled) parts are matching #s. The S/N is ALSO in the 9 Mil range and the stock is RED tinted rather than the Golden color often see. Had to shell out $200 to the walkin who had it. :rolleyes: Almost erased CAI import marks.
In the late 80's Century brought in a bunch of stuff out of Egypt and Syria. Some of the SKS rifles they sold were Chinese in maker and markings but had either spike or blade bayonets in laminated stocks. The guns were all pretty similiar and many had Arabic numbers painted onto the stock. I recently picked up another at a show that is nearly a clone of the one I bought from Century years back-spike bayonet, dark rough laminated stock, chinese maker and numbered in arabic on the stock.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
In the late 80's Century brought in a bunch of stuff out of Egypt and Syria. Some of the SKS rifles they sold were Chinese in maker and markings but had either spike or blade bayonets in laminated stocks.....
Here are a couple pics of mine....exactly as it came from century, but cleaned of old stiff cosmo and sand. Notice the crude nature of the wood laminations, it looks to be a coarser grain wood than the Russian laminates I think. Note also how thin the stock is in the wrist. It is also a bit squared off in this area as well. The wood appears very much like the laminated wood found on Maadi AK's. The stock is cut for both a blade, and a spike bayonet.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice weapon Bill.....I see the diffrence in wood clearly, but maybe the 9 mill. Type 56's are unique. Several of the board members have 9 mil. Type 56's, I'd be nice if board memebers who own them would post pic's of theirs.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
3,850 Posts
I still think that it's a Century put-together rifle. It has a Russian rebuild marking on the stock and I doubt that the Russians sent them like that to China to make up. Sino-Soviet rifles that I've seen on the different boards have all been in hardwood stocks, but, hey, that's just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions....:)

Regardless, it's still a fine looking rifle....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.