Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to stop by the local gunstore after work today. I hadn't planned on buying anything, until I saw this:
1939 Izhevsk Sovet Recapture Finn marked 91/30

My other one is a Liberty import, whilst this one is a TGI gun.

The SA mark is one of the stranger ones, on the top of the barrel rather than the sides. Sides are totally unmarked.

Gun looks to be in a prewar Tula Stock.

TGI also "doggy bags" the accessories, so that this gun has the matching bayonet with rest of the kit.

Like my other Finn recapture, the barreled action has fine pitting under the refinish, and the barrel is dark.

Here is my other one: I think i picked it up last October.

1941 dated Izhevsk. Basic refurb, imported by Liberty International, all stamped matching with no line outs.

This seems like a later date for a Finn capture, so it must have been captured and then re-captured during the continuation war.

I haven't been hunting for Mosin Nagants in a while, but whenever I look in a rack and see one of these, I can't pass it up.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
This lends credence to the argument that some of these are showing up lately due to coming from a batch of refurbs which happened to contain blocks of rifles recaptured from Finland. Still a somewhat rare find, in my book.

Nirvana, the position of the SA mark is less common, but not unheard of.

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
Can I have it????

·
Registered
513 Posts
So these Finn re-captures. Are retailers selling these at a premium or are they mixed in with run of the mill 91/30 refurbs?
Our local gun shop puts one mosin out for display and the rest are individualy boxed so you really don't know what you are getting.
I have asked before to look at the ones in boxes and I was told (ignorantly) they are all the same, what does it matter.
I usually dont even waste my time looking but have picked up a few nice red letter Tula's.
The next closest dealer that carries milsurp is 30 miles away.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Our local tractor stors sell Mosin Nagats. What do you look for to indicate a capture and a recapture?
Thanks,
Mickey
Finland capture, Soviet recapture 91-30s have the following features.

1. Refurb blue on the metal and sloppy shellac on the wood.

2. Some sign of what we think are refurb stamps on the metal and wood - Box with slash in it/etc.

3. Large billboard importers stamp on the receiver or older import stamp on the barrel.

4. Finland Army property stamp on the barrel shank, SA in a box.

5. Some really nifty capture/recapture rifles have the PL and 41 stamps.

When these first came to light quite a few years ago, they were really intriguing - I have since acquired two of them & have seen a dozen or so more posted. They most likely are not M27 rv Carbine rare, but they are very uncommon end of the spectrum rare.

Hope this helps.

Pahtu.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
So these Finn re-captures. Are retailers selling these at a premium or are they mixed in with run of the mill 91/30 refurbs?
Our local gun shop puts one mosin out for display and the rest are individualy boxed so you really don't know what you are getting.
I have asked before to look at the ones in boxes and I was told (ignorantly) they are all the same, what does it matter.
I usually dont even waste my time looking but have picked up a few nice red letter Tula's.
Retailers usually have no idea about the rifles - If they are common or uncommon - To my knowledge retailers are not pulling these rifles out of the batch to sell for more, as they would be spending much more time trying to find a rare one, it would not be worth their time $$ wise.

It is luck of the draw that members find these for sale ar retail prices.

Pahtu.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our local tractor stors sell Mosin Nagats. What do you look for to indicate a capture and a recapture?
Thanks,
Mickey
These guns, and others like them, display the SA mark stamped into the metal indicating Finnish ownership. However, they also show all of the standard marks and trappings of postwar Soviet refurbishment. This would include all rematched numbers, the square refurb mark, shellac covered stock, and they are sporting current import markings. This would indicate that at some point after their Finnish use, they were acquired back by the Soviet army, via battlefield capture, and then thrown back into general circulation and later refurbed with all of the rest of their guns. This is a sort of new find, rarely heard of until recently. There are also a handful of Tikka built 91/30s that show similar work, as well as SVTs and Nagant revolvers. With each one found, their rarity diminishes, but they are still pretty tough to find. I've lucked into two.

Both of these guns were priced at the standard refurb rate for my area. They weren't cleaned, hand selected, or bothered with by the stores. They put them in racks for public consumption on the show floor. Each time, there were 10-20 Mosins available, and I went through each one until I found something interesting. I have passed up a DDR marked gun, a Tula ex pu 91/30, and a XO marked 91/30 at different points over the past year, at various stores in my area. Maybe I should have bought all three of them, but wasn't really drawn in.

If you look hard enough, and press the clerks for more, you will eventually find something worth buying. Just tell them the ones you've handled have bad bores, flakey finishes, or renumbered parts. All of this may well be true. Emphasize that you want to buy a gun, but that you want it to be a good one, as you will pass it on to your kids and so on. If all else fails, find another store or wait for a local show.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.