Gunboards Forums banner

Another excellent Sowell column! Freedom...

695 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  John Sukey In Memoriam 
#1 ·
http://townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2008/12/02/freedom_and_the_left
Freedom and the Left
Thomas Sowell Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Most people on the left are not opposed to freedom. They are just in favor of all sorts of things that are incompatible with freedom.
Freedom ultimately means the right of other people to do things that you do not approve of. Nazis were free to be Nazis under Hitler. It is only when you are able to do things that other people don't approve that you are free.
One of the most innocent-sounding examples of the left's many impositions of its vision on others is the widespread requirement by schools and by college admissions committees that students do "community service."
There are high schools across the country from which you cannot graduate, and colleges where your application for admission will not be accepted, unless you have engaged in activities arbitrarily defined as "community service."
The arrogance of commandeering young people's time, instead of leaving them and their parents free to decide for themselves how to use that time, is exceeded only by the arrogance of imposing your own notions as to what is or is not a service to the community.
Working in a homeless shelter is widely regarded as "community service"-- as if aiding and abetting vagrancy is necessarily a service, rather than a disservice, to the community.
Is a community better off with more people not working, hanging out on the streets, aggressively panhandling people on the sidewalks, urinating in the street, leaving narcotics needles in the parks where children play?
This is just one of the ways in which handing out various kinds of benefits to people who have not worked for them breaks the connection between productivity and reward, as far as they are concerned.
But that connection remains as unbreakable as ever for society as a whole. You can make anything an "entitlement" for individuals and groups but nothing is an entitlement for society as a whole, not even food or shelter, both of which have to be produced by somebody's work or they will not exist.
What "entitlements" for some people mean is forcing other people to work for their benefit. As a bumper sticker put it: "Work harder. Millions of people on welfare are depending on you."
The most fundamental problem, however, is not which particular activities students are required to engage in under the title of "community service."
The most fundamental question is: What in the world qualifies teachers and members of college admissions committees to define what is good for society as a whole, or even for the students on whom they impose their arbitrary notions?
What expertise do they have that justifies overriding other people's freedom? What do their arbitrary impositions show, except that fools rush in where angels fear to tread?
What lessons do students get from this, except submission to arbitrary power?
Supposedly students are to get a sense of compassion or noblesse oblige from serving others. But this all depends on who defines compassion. In practice, it means forcing students to undergo a propaganda experience to make them receptive to the left's vision of the world.
I am sure those who favor "community service" requirements would understand the principle behind the objections to this if high school military exercises were required.
Indeed, many of those who promote compulsory "community service" activities are bitterly opposed to even voluntary military training in high schools or colleges, though many other people regard military training as more of a contribution to society than feeding people who refuse to work.
In other words, people on the left want the right to impose their idea of what is good for society on others-- a right that they vehemently deny to those whose idea of what is good for society differs from their own.
The essence of bigotry is refusing to others the rights that you demand for yourself. Such bigotry is inherently incompatible with freedom, even though many on the left would be shocked to be considered opposed to freedom.

See less See more
#2 ·
Three cheers for a sober disciplined mind.

#3 ·
Several years ago, my last some was in high school and I went to one of the beginning of the year meetings where the teacher explained (to the parents the course and what the kids would be doing. This included 'community service.'

In the open meeting I had a discussion with the teacher, asking how this was related to chemistry (the course subject). It ended up with the fact that her job was to teach chemisrty and this community service was not chemistry. So my son was not going to do it. I also mentione that if he was forced to do so or if she decided to get even by gigging his grades (which I wol be able to tell), or otherwise traking it out on him in class, I would file a complaint with the state against her license plus every time the schoold district had an appliciation for stateand federal funds (and there are a lot of these each year) I would file an objection and request that the funds be denied. I knew tha I would not be successful on any of this but they would be spending a lot of time, money and effort.

Two years later one of my sister-is-law's kids was in her class and the teacher (at the annual meeting with parents) made mention of that crazy, unreasonable guy who objected to communnity serivce.

#4 ·
Actually - I'd call your attitude sane and reasonable, cpw.

The State Bar has pushed (so far not mandatory, though it was proposed and will be again) "mandatory voluntary pro bono" legal services. I've never been able to quite figure out how something mandatory could be voluntary, but the leaders of our state bar are not always entirely rational...

I have invariably voted against that proposition, in either state bar-sponsored polls or the one time it was presented as a referendum, and if (when?) it comes, it won't affect me since I resigned when I retired, but - what dreck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.