Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, my newly-purchased dou 45 k98 arrived at the local FFL dealer via UPS. I've bought from the same vendor before, as with previous purchases this one seemed very well packed. When the local store was unwrapping the layers of bubble wrap, the safety fell to the floor in a couple of pieces. It was completely separated from the bolt, broken at the base of the tang. The seller has already offered a replacement unmarked safety; since the bolt was already a mismatch, it's not a great tragedy. I'm more interested in replacing the safety than with finding fault. I like the rifle, it's matching other than the bolt. I haven't taken possession of the gun (CA waiting period) but didn't see any other obvious damage.

Over the years, I don't recall ever completely disassembling a Mauser bolt. This morning I searched the forum archives and found a few YouTube tutorials. Guides to stripping the bolt all assume that the safety is present and the tang positioned vertically. Any special concerns or precautions if the safety is already absent? I'm assuming that I would have the bolt cocked before removing it from the receiver.

I'm pretty much a novice at these guns. Last thing I want to do is bungle a presumably simple repair.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Assuming the bolt is in the rifle? Should be easy to replace, but the details are where the devil is. What position is the safe in now? That will determine how to proceed. You will need to get the safe "straight up" with the rifle pointed away. If that can be achieved, unscrew the bolt body from innards, and then continue to disassemble the bolt as You-tube suggests. Replace safe, and assemble.

If the safe can't be placed into the straight up position (intermediate between safe and battery), then another conversation will be needed.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,563 Posts
That was a close one-- yeah That exact misfortune happened to me with 24/47. Yes yes,You need to cock the bolt! No way by hand. you need leverage, place the sear on the edge of the table and pull towards your body. otherwise can"t place it back. There are few videos instructions relating. GL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Position of the safety? Actually it's in a plastic bag at the FFL holder! Both pieces of the safety. The entire safety is detached from the bolt. Can I still proceed with simply unscrewing the bolt body?

i appreciate the replies.

Gil

Assuming the bolt is in the rifle? Should be easy to replace, but the details are where the devil is. What position is the safe in now? That will determine how to proceed. You will need to get the safe "straight up" with the rifle pointed away. If that can be achieved, unscrew the bolt body from innards, and then continue to disassemble the bolt as You-tube suggests. Replace safe, and assemble.

If the safe can't be placed into the straight up position (intermediate between safe and battery), then another conversation will be needed.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Sounds like you going to have to stick something in the slot to hold the cocking piece at safe position. You will need to pull the cocking piece back slightly to insert the object(the rim of a 7,92 case works). Gently let the cocking piece down on the inserted object and remove bolt, unscrew bolt shroud as normal.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
You might want to research the way they originally removed the bolt sleeves from P14 and M1917 rifles (there was no safety on the bolt sleeve to make it easy). They originally hooked a wire or a shoelace around the sear notch with the bolt out of the rifle, and used it to pull the cocking piece back until the bolt sleeve could be turned. IMHO, when I once tried it this way for fun, it was probably a three-handed job, and was no real fun, but it worked!

Closing the P14-M1917 bolt with the safety on and putting a penny between the bolt sleeve and the cocking piece came later, and works MUCH better. I haven't really checked to see if there is enough room to do it, but the 'penny trick' to hold the cocking piece to the rear JUST MIGHT work on a Mauser bolt sleeve if you can figure a way to keep the cocking piece to the rear as you push the bolt closed.

Once you have the 'works' out of the bolt, just use the disassembly disc in the stock to take it apart further.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seller (Don at RCArms) sent me a replacement safety (with no serial number). And I installed it easily without dismantling the bolt. That procedure of pulling back the cocking piece to allow rotation of the safety? It also allowed easy insertion of the replacement safety (fully rotated to the right, then rotated to the vertical position). I realized this when I found online advice to avoid pulling the cocking piece too far to prevent the safety from falling out of the bolt!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070930205638AAWwE0E

Safety works fine. Guess it was beginner's luck that the broken safety had separated entirely from the bolt and that the replacement functions fine after just dropping it in.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Glad things worked out for you! I've been lucky in that my purchases have been received with the bolt removed and heavily wrapped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.