Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
don't discount it

Fella's
This is the norm today and I cannot vouch for 60 yrs ago but this is what happens today.
The RAAF ADG (Airfield Defence Guards) are equipped at level that is only second to the special forces. They have a budget way above what a relevant unit in the Army would have. henceforth they equip themselves with such shiny kit as M4's decked out with every bell and whistle, Mp-5's for checking the aircraft AND the latest SR98 and AW 50 sniper rifles.
The RAN has a unit called the UCD (Underwater clearance divers) They work very closely with the SAS and other spec ops groups. They too have the same equipment schedule to allow for sniper rifles and a whole host of other goodies.
They also have dedicated boarding teams and would not be out of the realm of possibility that they too could be equipped with sniper rifles. I know for a fact that i saw at least one RAAFy and Pusser on a sniper course I was attached too.
This is the modern day, But it is not out of the realm of possibilty that similar things happened all those years ago.
I agree that the scopes and spec's of these above said rifles are possibly out of the norm that we expect with an army issued sniper rifle but the idea of the navy and air force having them is a reality.

Just as a side note, I did a stint as part of the boarding crew with a patrol boat operating out of Darwin. The ship had on-board something like 10,000 rds of 5.56mm link for the minimi. So needless to say we let rip with as much as possible when possible. The pussers said that they get a allocation each long patrol they do so had no problem with us using as much as we wanted. This is another example of the resources that each service has is vastly different. The RAAF and Navy after buying multi billion dollar aircraft and vessels, don't even bat an eyelid at acquiring a new small arms weapon system for it's minority units.
Cheers
NED

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.