Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,975 Posts
In the US, Tatum was a late 1960's author of some articles and a little booklet on snipers. I examned part of his estate and determined that he was not above making a sniper if he did not have a real one. Consequently, there is an questionable Australian sniper out there with Australian Air Force markings. This was before Ian's listing of actual numbers. He also had a Ross sniper with a US Benet Mercie mount fitted such that the Warner Swassey scope would take your eye out before you could get the butt into your shoulder. A number of the pieces did not pass the test of common sense.

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,975 Posts
Was that the 1905 Ross sniper with the M1909? W&S scope?
I honestly don't remeber now, it has been over fifeteen years and when they smell, I don't remember the details other than a note to self to remember to look in closer detail the next time you see one.

The people who want one and make one today are not unique, Tatum was very busy in the day when bits and pieces were easily available and it was cheap to create things. Since there was little information available other than it existed--they could make it up and none would be the wiser. Things that the new collectors might consider in their rush to spend money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.