Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok folks, the blurb on this one is that it was a 1941, refurb'ed in the '50s and reissued as a Sniper Rifle for the Royal Australian Navy during the Korean War. Didn't know the RAN was big on sniping? It carries a 4x Ziess scope "Numbered to the rifle". The price?? $2250!!!!

Sure as eggs, some silly bugger will buy it!

Go To: www.usedguns.com.au
Go To: Military Rifles
Count Down, 23rd rifle.

Tried to post a picture but it was just all discombobulated!!

·
2,729 Posts
If it was real the price would be double that. The F serial should make it 1944/45 manufacture.
It must be unfired- just looked up the RAN's involvement in Korea and their list of expended ordnance doesn't include a single .303 round!

I might give 'em a ring in the morning and ask some "innocent" questions...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hey, you cynics, you! It's real! Well, a real piece of...um...how do I put it nicely?!

Oh yeah, I got the Long Tom and P14 into my sweaty hands today, I've been giggling like a schoolgirl all afternoon!

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You did what Matt? You got a giggling schoolgirl into your sweaty hands!! OH.......sorry.......just re read your post. Phew, had me worried for a minute! Well done.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might give 'em a ring in the morning and ask some "innocent" questions...
"Innocent questions" are the best ones. Especially when they think they've got a "bite on the line". Let us all know how you get on will ya?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hmmm, maybe a giggling uni student! Preferably about 24 with red hair and freckles. Seems I keep coming back to this particular choice!!!

As to the RAN, I didn't think that they had snipers sitting in the back seats of their Fireflies, cracking away at the Commos!

Cheers,
Matt

·
Gold Bullet member
11,545 Posts
That Husqvarna M38 for $375 AUS is a good deal. Why is the M39 $800??!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why is the M39 $800??!!
G'day Bones,
Quite likely because they aren't too common over here. I only know of one importer that brought some in. There may have been others of course but never the less they are quite scarce on the ground here.

Cheers and night night ;-)

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,883 Posts
In the US, Tatum was a late 1960's author of some articles and a little booklet on snipers. I examned part of his estate and determined that he was not above making a sniper if he did not have a real one. Consequently, there is an questionable Australian sniper out there with Australian Air Force markings. This was before Ian's listing of actual numbers. He also had a Ross sniper with a US Benet Mercie mount fitted such that the Warner Swassey scope would take your eye out before you could get the butt into your shoulder. A number of the pieces did not pass the test of common sense.

·
Registered
151 Posts
don't discount it

Fella's
This is the norm today and I cannot vouch for 60 yrs ago but this is what happens today.
The RAAF ADG (Airfield Defence Guards) are equipped at level that is only second to the special forces. They have a budget way above what a relevant unit in the Army would have. henceforth they equip themselves with such shiny kit as M4's decked out with every bell and whistle, Mp-5's for checking the aircraft AND the latest SR98 and AW 50 sniper rifles.
The RAN has a unit called the UCD (Underwater clearance divers) They work very closely with the SAS and other spec ops groups. They too have the same equipment schedule to allow for sniper rifles and a whole host of other goodies.
They also have dedicated boarding teams and would not be out of the realm of possibility that they too could be equipped with sniper rifles. I know for a fact that i saw at least one RAAFy and Pusser on a sniper course I was attached too.
This is the modern day, But it is not out of the realm of possibilty that similar things happened all those years ago.
I agree that the scopes and spec's of these above said rifles are possibly out of the norm that we expect with an army issued sniper rifle but the idea of the navy and air force having them is a reality.

Just as a side note, I did a stint as part of the boarding crew with a patrol boat operating out of Darwin. The ship had on-board something like 10,000 rds of 5.56mm link for the minimi. So needless to say we let rip with as much as possible when possible. The pussers said that they get a allocation each long patrol they do so had no problem with us using as much as we wanted. This is another example of the resources that each service has is vastly different. The RAAF and Navy after buying multi billion dollar aircraft and vessels, don't even bat an eyelid at acquiring a new small arms weapon system for it's minority units.
Cheers
NED

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
26,874 Posts
is this is?

Ok folks, the blurb on this one is that it was a 1941, refurb'ed in the '50s and reissued as a Sniper Rifle for the Royal Australian Navy during the Korean War. Didn't know the RAN was big on sniping? It carries a 4x Ziess scope "Numbered to the rifle". The price?? $2250!!!!

Sure as eggs, some silly bugger will buy it!

Go To: www.usedguns.com.au
Go To: Military Rifles
Count Down, 23rd rifle.

Tried to post a picture but it was just all discombobulated!!
:)

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
26,874 Posts
No...

Thanks limpetmine. Hey, that's not a picture of your Missus in your avatar is it?
type wise crack HERE " when I close my eyes.....etc.etc.etc. "
mamma said don't say anything if you can't say something nice....
:D

·
2,729 Posts
AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

I knew there was something important I had to do this morning! BUGGER! Oh, well..... just stick with me, I'll leave a sticky note on my coke bottle in the fridge to ring about that rifle in the morning.
....sorry fella's

·
Registered
96 Posts
In the US, Tatum was a late 1960's author of some articles and a little booklet on snipers. I examned part of his estate and determined that he was not above making a sniper if he did not have a real one. Consequently, there is an questionable Australian sniper out there with Australian Air Force markings. This was before Ian's listing of actual numbers. He also had a Ross sniper with a US Benet Mercie mount fitted such that the Warner Swassey scope would take your eye out before you could get the butt into your shoulder. A number of the pieces did not pass the test of common sense.
Was that the 1905 Ross sniper with the M1909? W&S scope?

·
Administrator
9,391 Posts
"?Sniper .303" and the Trade Practices Act

Someone had better tell whoever is trying to sell that "Fake" RAN sniper built on a late WW II action that both the Feds (Trade Practices Act 1975) and his local state "Fair Trading" laws will come down on both Him and his Internet provider/web hoster, for "False and Misleading" Advertizing (s. 51 and 75 of the TPA)...

It's not like the USA where anything goes ("Buyer beware--Caveat Emptor"); here in Aust, you try one on like that, and you could find yourself heavily fined by your local State Authority (if you are a private seller) or by the Feds if you are a corporation...and that goes for the medium which carries your advertisement as well...

A word in the guy's ear may get the message through to him... if not, he deserves everything he gets.

Regards, Doc AV
(Wearing my lawyer's wig)
AV Ballistics.

·
2,729 Posts
...well, I spoke to the dealer this afternoon.... He is adamant that the rifle was fitted up with scope and mounts by RAN armourers at an RAN workshop in the early fifties. It even had the rifle number engraved on the scope. He said they are very rare, he had only ever seen one other similar, but it was an RAAF one built by RAAF armourers..... I was going to offer to sell him a bridge in Sydney that was also built by Navy engineers during a weekend shore leave when they had docked on the opposite side of the harbour to Kings Cross. (It has a broad arrow stamped on it, but I forget exactly where...)

BTW, the rifle has been sold to a lucky collector in Sydney..... maybe he'll buy the bridge off me.........

I take it from your responce, DocAV, that you are in the dark on this one too. Others I have spoken to who's opinions I also value have said the same thing. I'd think $300 worth of rifle, $150 worth of scope and over 2 grand worth of bullshit.

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,883 Posts
Was that the 1905 Ross sniper with the M1909? W&S scope?
I honestly don't remeber now, it has been over fifeteen years and when they smell, I don't remember the details other than a note to self to remember to look in closer detail the next time you see one.

The people who want one and make one today are not unique, Tatum was very busy in the day when bits and pieces were easily available and it was cheap to create things. Since there was little information available other than it existed--they could make it up and none would be the wiser. Things that the new collectors might consider in their rush to spend money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts