Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks. I need some help.

I wanted some input about what things limit the accuracy of AK-type rifles.

I already have put ammunition quality and the sights at the top of the list. What other concerns are there?

I'm wondering about what effects the gas tube and handuard fit might have. How much difference is there in receiver material (1mm vs. 1.5mm vs milled)?

I know that the M1 Garand needs a lot of work to get in shape, so I imagine a similar regimen should at least improve things for the AK family.

thanks!

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
AK's are just built loose. PERIOD. they are made to function, not to snipe with, if you are looking for more accuracy, you'll just have to shoot a few and pick the best of the litter.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
51,819 Posts
Some do shoot very good, although I'm not 100% why. I think an overly tight gas tube would not be good for accuracy.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
The gas system hanging under the barrel likely causes a lot of erratic vibrations, and the barrels are pretty thin, too. From my limited knowledge of the accuracy improvement work on Ruger Mini14's and Mini30's a heavier barrel and more secure gas block attachment are primary. A heavier receiver and welded receiver trunion would help some.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AK's are just built loose. PERIOD. they are made to function, not to snipe with, if you are looking for more accuracy, you'll just have to shoot a few and pick the best of the litter.
True... but where are they loose, exactly what effect does that have, and how to remediate?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
headspace on the AK vary`s alot
That's good to know. I admit I haven't checked any of mine but I may have to get a gage.

If my little project goes far enough Ken, I might need your skills. I'm familiar with how to re-set headspace on an AK, but I don't want to be the one to do it. Drill bits don't like me. :)

Just to clarify my goals a bit, I'm not looking at building any super sub-moa rifle, but I'd like a consistent 1.5 - 2.0 moa. That's enough to score well on my club's SR1 targets at 100 yrds.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,418 Posts
I do not have much to add as to how accurize an AK variant but there are several factors that can be remedied by choice of weapon.
A Chinese NHM 91 or MAK 91 heavy barrel rifle has a thicker receiver 1.5mm longer barrel (increased sight line) than a standard AK variant. This may be a good starting point.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
First steps are to eliminate the practical variables.
This means a good trigger, better sights, selected ammo, or hand loaded ammo.
The gains here can be startling.

Next, the better the quality of the basic parts the better.
Most people agree that the best barrels ever used on an AK are the Bulgarian hammer forged and chrome lined versions.
You likely get some improvement with a custom made American non-chrome lined barrel.

The other parts, specifically the receiver also play a part, and "most people" seem to get the best accuracy from the high grade milled receivers.

Caliber is important, and the best caliber for accuracy from the AK is the US 5.56/.223, which is noted for better accuracy than the AK's 7.62 or 5.45.

You'll probably get the most from these changes, with something more possible from playing the accuracy game with the gas system and the fit of parts.

V

·
0 Posts
Actually my 5.45 ak74's preform way better than my 223's. Good gas tube fit , lower handguard fit and tighter headspaceing is the trick .I work exclusivly on these 3 items on every build I do . Receiver doesnt make a whole lot of diffrence . the receiver on an ak is merly a guide for the bolt and carrier to ride in . the trunion and the barrel assembly are the true action on an ak of any type . I individualy headspace and oversize pin every single build instead of relying on the factorys headspace job . The tolerances here can be very wide . Also gas tube fit and lower HG fit can extend pressures onto the barrel assembly one way or another . As an overveiw .....Take your parts kits and work them like a pro ,taking care in fitting and you will make the most of your AK

V

·
0 Posts
And I do have some phenominaly good shooting ak's . I sold 2 g rifles with the ability to hit everything you point at ,at 100 yard raange . consistantly nail soda cans and making them dance all over . Thats about as good as it gets.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
The smaller diameter bore of the 5.45 barrel, and same exterior size, may make it just stiff enough to get out of some critical vibration frequency????

Anyway, with US barrels being made its only a matter of time until there's a bull barrel AK.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
I can't imagine how you'd get your barrel components to fit on a bull barrel. They'd all have to be made separately as well I imagine

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Watch an AK firing in slow motion - the whole thing wobbles to the point of comedy. I don't think doing anything to the gas tube fit will alter the effect, but I'm sure a thicker rcvr will lessen the flexing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
After having a 2 stage trigger job done on my Mitchell Arms preban AK, my groups got really respectible at 100 & 200 yds.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
i'd say if you want the most accuracy out of an AK, without a lot of bother, go get you a SAR3 or an AK74, i have all flavors, and the 5.45 and the 223 really are remarkably accurate for such a short sight radius.

·
Registered
193 Posts
1. Short barrel
2. Not a heavy target barrel at all...probably the farthest away from it

I doubt that the loseness of some of the parts has anything to do with it. The bolt and trunnion lock up tight.

The gas system? I doubt it. The bullet is already out of the barrel by the time the piston moves.

Thats my take on it, I have seen some AKs do really well too.

V

·
0 Posts
very Tight fit lower handguard and very tight gas tube fits do effect the pressure exerted on barrel components . Loose fits I have not experimented with at all. If they were too loose I corrected the problem . I found out about fit problems in these two areas from alot of test firing and just for the fact of doing quite a few barrel changes and furniture changes and fitting . Most kit builders dont mess with barrel and component swapping ,virgin barrel builds ,or headspacing .Its simply press the barrel out and repress it back in . I am not saying you can accurize an ak in these spots ,But you can negativly effect your total potential by fit in these places. Some ak's just shoot like a bullet hose ,some do not . If you have an ak with a very tight lower HG or gas tube because of swapping furniture or whatever . Take time to fit the parts properly and your rifle will love you for it . Experiment yourself and see. as far as headspace . I headspace every single time .Have a drill press and plenty of drill blanks to make new barrel pins . So I tighten the headspace to the tightest tollerance .AK's have a very wide tollerance here.Pro builders will testify to that . I have not honestly done a before and after headspace tightning range test. But to others comments of receiver type ,stamped vs milled , stamped receivers are merely a bolt guide . the trunion is the actual mechanical receiver.and fitting here is much more important than receiver type.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts