Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I stopped in a new pawn shop.

Among the 5 guns in the wall rack was a long barreled military style rolling block with a really long spur on the breech block.

I asked to see it and the guy behind the counter said they did not know what caliber it was, probably a .43 or 45/70 or who it was made for.

The gun had to be 'recocked' after closing the breech before you could pull the trigger and there were no US marks on the receiver, narrowing it down to a New York militia gun in 50/70.

Mechanically it is identical to a previous one I purchased but most of the metal is black/brown on the barrel but still bright along the stock and under the bands. I am not sure if it is 'patina' or paint. Apparently it sat on a damp floor for some time, the butt plate is rusty and pitted.

The big difference in the two guns is how they are marked.

In addition to the regular proof/inspector marks my first one has a 36 over a 29 stamped on the right side of the stock and a 29 stamped on the top tang of the butt plate.

The second has a brass disk stamped 60 on the right side of the stock, what appears to be two numbers or letters stamped in the top of the pitted butt plate, a D and a 60 stamped on the rear top of the stock and a CHC stamped on the left side of the stock.

I would guess these are rack/unit markings but wonder why the difference in how they are marked and what they mean.

Any ideas?

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.