Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought another 49/56. G series serial number, like my first rifle. Some horse trader, I am!
This comes with a bayonet and extra mags. Bore like new.
mas 49-56.jpg

·
Gold Bullet member
11,076 Posts
Beautiful example! Congrats!

Price paid?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Nice! Still waiting to add one to my collection.

I had a change to pick one up in excellent condition with 10 magazines and all the extras for $700 about a year ago....still kicking myself for not jumping on it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I paid $900 shipped
Shipping cost the seller around $50
I figure the bayonet, 3 extra mags and 3 boxes of ammo are worth at least $200 or more.
It's in 7.5 French, and with a 1992 rework mark. Bore is like new.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,076 Posts
I paid $900 shipped
Shipping cost the seller around $50
I figure the bayonet, 3 extra mags and 3 boxes of ammo are worth at least $200 or more.
It's in 7.5 French, and with a 1992 rework mark. Bore is like new.
You got an exceptionally nice example at a fair price. I consider that a good deal. 👍

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I would recommend not using the commercial ammo in this rifle. This rifle has a very strong hitting firing pin, and slam fires have been known to happen.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Nice rifle. I have had a 308 version for at least 15 years. Great shooter. The muzzle brake is quite effective. As posted above, only shoot surplus ammo due to the heavy firing pin which will cause slam fires, which is interesting. Light weight firing pins can be found on line.

·
Registered
934 Posts
You are good to go using that ammo. Shorten the firing pin 0,5cm (I believe that's the length). But good to go! Nice example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
To prevent slam fire, the firing pin tip is to be ground flat with a protrusion in the bolt face (firing pin in bolt/bolt carrier for measurement) reduced by 0,5mm.
minimum acceptable protrusion is 0,8mm

·
Registered
264 Posts
Very nice rifle.That ammo is loaded light.It doesn't cycle well in some rifles.I reserve it for my MAS 36.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Not many with a 20 round mag.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Silver Bullet member
30,682 Posts
Are there larger capacity magazines available for these?

Very cool.
Heard of French LMG magazines being converted

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Concerning the slam fire issue, I slightly flattened the firing pin tip on my first 49/56. I have not had any failures in shooting 100 rounds of PPU 7.5. I have 8 spare firing pins in reserve! The original firing pin is on the left. The flattened on the right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts