Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
The LITHGOW stamp looks more like LITHGOW....
It does. But looking closely, you can see what looks like the remnants of an upright "LITH" underneath/behind the "LITH". Also, there are different fonts in the 1 of the 1915 suggesting a restrike.
I reckon it was poorly struck in the first place, then each letter was individually overstruck to correct it.
I have no doubts that it's genuine.
Font Artifact Art Pattern Rectangle

Another pic of a 1915...
Household hardware Wood Tool Hand tool Composite material

·
Registered
Lithgow Lee Enfield No1 MkIII/III*
382 Posts
Let’s not forget the scabbard. It’s looks to be in great condition and I don’t see many of these either.

Reactions: JB White

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Aside from the obvious over strike markings, there are a couple of things I’m curious about.
1: is that a 1MD number? It’s been weakened over time.
2: Due to the bobbing of the hook, the crosspiece looks to have a somewhat elongated appearance to my eye. Does anyone else see the same?

Is it actually a tad longer when compared to others? Wondering if it was lopped in the field earlier on thus not “dressed to spec”.

One thing I do know for certain. Someone had a great day at an Arms Fair.
Maybe not later in the week when the effects of spending all the grocery money takes hold. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Doc Martini - you beat me to it. Was just playing trying to get a better shot of the markings but it certainly is double struck, here is my attempt. Same as you I have no doubts over it...I hope I have also saved it from the fakers..ideal candidate to have a quillon refit?

@JB White - yes, it's 1 MD, a little worn but it's there. See my picture attempt.
Grey Wood Font Art Artifact
Rectangle Wood Grey Font Material property

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it was a good day at an Arms Fair, was close to buying another hookie...this one was 1909 Enfield and N & DY regiment marked...then common sense and the existing task of convincing head office that what I had already bought was a great investment made me saw sense. I did go thinking I would be looking and not buying but I got hooked with these Australian beauties.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Good to realize my eyesight isn’t totally shot yet. T’would be interesting to find out what others might think of it

Don’t understand the relationship to the bayonets?
Ho! Ho! Ho! Is the beckoning call of the Chicago Ho’ tribe. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
He has been hooked by hookies.

Ho Ho Ho (laughing. laughing . laughing)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts