Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer has an 1891 Argy in the rack. Scrubbed receiver, nice wood, converted to 8mm. I can't find any information for it. Is this a one off conversion or was someone doing it en masse? And assuming head space/receiver integrity is good, is it safe to shoot?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
As the others have stated, if it is an 1890/91 type rifle chambered in 8mm mauser, there are several types of reworks that it may be, and all of them are rather desirable. In my opinion, rather desirable in almost any condition, if priced accordingly.

As the others have implied, it is very unlikely that it is an Argentine 1891. If it IS in fact an 1891 Argentine and it IS in fact 8mm Mauser, then we have some interesting possibilities. The most likely, unfortunately, is that someone here in the states re barreled it with what was available.

Personally I would not shoot SOME manufacturers of 8mm Mauser through a 1891 action. Namely Turkish, even if it is a Turkish 1890 refurb. Others may disagree with me, and cite that Turkey did it, many were shot as such, and it is safe. That is perfectly fine. But I have many other 8mm rifles to enjoy.

Regardless of what it MAY be, please post pictures for us to enjoy.

Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone who, sight unseen, gives you an unequivocal answer to this is a fool.

The question is unanswerable without a physical, hands-on examination of the gun.

M
I should have explained my thinking better when I asked the question. It seems to me that re-boring 7.65x53 out to 7.92 x 57 is removing a significant (and possibly unsafe) chunk of steel, a disaster in the making. Low number Springfield's and national ordnance receivers came to mind. What I was thinking was, if in fact there were many more of these rifles out there, perhaps the failures are documented.
In any case, I finally got to Jay's today, and of course, he had sold the rifle. He has warned the buyer of the discrepancy and directed him to have a competent 'smith determine once and for all, what the rifle is chambered for.
Perhaps the new owner will show up here in the near future asking "what is this thing?"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.