Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Who resigned?

The thread you posted looks like an OT about an incident involving LEOs that resulted in some suspect getting killed.

GK has some good k98 posts that you don't see over here.

·
Diamond member
1,631 Posts
Actually, losing JMiles as a participant on any WWII German weapons forum is a big loss. He is knowledgeable on G/K43's and has an impressive collection (impressive=well into the double digits for matching, original condition G/K43's).

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, esp to Pisgah....Im like everyone else who loves this stuff, Im just obsessed more so than others....

for those that have not noticed Im miles045 here

Regis while that maybe true in a few cases that is not why I left, I take criticism quite well, Im all for it, this is the USA and no one loves it more than me, maybe as much, but not more, and that is what it is all about here, freedom of speech....and criticism is good

Ive been through much in my short career, as have other cops I know, and I try to defend the police when and where appropriate, I try to explain procedures and clarify laws etc to those who dont know and understand the police when the topic comes up...or give a police perspective

it is certainly a noble career, but it is indeed thankless, not what I expected it to be as a younger man, and it has indeed changed me in positive ways and a few negative ways too... it has aged me beyond my years....I would honestly not reccommend anyone become a police officer today...I know too though that most good people whio really desire it will not listen as I surely didnt !!, but I cannot see myself doing anything else now either...the cops that work in urban areas, in cities big and small, really have it tough, not to take anything away from any other officer

one of the worst flaws of law enforcement in this country is lack of positive PR ( I blame the media : police stories are easy easy, and you never hear the outcomes or rebuttal and sometimes even the truth unfortunately...and I blame law enforcement too ), so I try to change that in small ways....

people that know me know that I : love freedom, respect people and understand how my actions as a police officer affect them, that I am excellent and experienced at using words to get done what needs to happen....Ive helped countless people, some that deserved it and some that could care less, Ive put away some real bad people, saved lives, and nearly (thank you Jesus) taken them, been there done that, lost blood and tears and sweat like anybody that puts their heart into their work...and if I were a cat and had 9 lives, Im keeping count, Ive used six of them in 8 years, Ive got 20 years until retirement....

I felt that threads there turned from criticism to downright bashing that was baseless and useless unless youre paranoid...blanket statments were made that I cannot forgive because of the harm, real and perceived, that such talk does to me and other good cops (the vast majority) that frankly were based on extreme rare instances and complete ignorance...

it is not a matter of thin skin either, I simply did not want to see it, read it, defend it anymore over there...I deal with it enough when Im getting paid to, places like that forum and here are my escapes from it....I want to talk about WWII stuff...so I left..think of it as changing the channel is all....think if you were a soldier, and had to keep reading threads about how all soldiers arent very smart and kill babies and kill indiscriminately etc etc. would you want to listen to it every day??

I cannot say anything but good things about most of the people there at GK, I had a great time being moderator, and answering questions, giving advice etc... but all things, even good things, come to an end I guess...

Ive been here for sometime, though not frequently, just check the G43 section....Id imagine Ill be here more often now, especially since this area is very specific and I can be sure of what Im going to read about when I log on : 98s and G43s

so I cant say much more, and dont want to honestly...conversations about such topics are best had over a guiness anyway

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,778 Posts
Unless you have been a Mod, it's hard to understand. Sometimes being a mod is like work- it sucks. It takes the fun out of the boards, especially if you are really busy with other stuff. Then to come to your "distraction" and see that kind of stuff it can bum you out. That's why I've started to keep our board clean- this thread is one that I like to keep an eye on. Just show some respect- Rex, that ain't respect.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Cops are at the top of my list to respect, I go out of my way to speak to the cops who work around here. You guys have a very very tough job and I dont believe I could do it. Just remember that there are people who appreciate what you do.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have known good Cops and a bad Cop. Same as anywhere else, you will find all kinds of people in any profession. I agree that PR is a problem. Just think of the kinds of people the profession would attract if there was positive PR by the news.

My daughter, a Marine, has been asked to become a Cop by her Police friends, but that is not something she wants to do. One of the funny things she thinks has happened since she became a Marine is her Police friends would come by work and want to show her their latest gun purchase. Heck, I do the same thing.

Since I bought a K98, I have been fortunate to find this forum and the people on it. Some can't take the heat but the knowledge base is fantastic, IMO.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
JM is a personal friend whom I recommended for the mod position at GK when I was supermoderator there. He's a good man, good LEO, and we are happy to have him here and his community is lucky to have him keeping them safe. It's the principle of the thing.

regards,
HB

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
The G/K forum ??
Hmmmm ..... :eek:

No loss a' tall.

Wel-
come
to the
real