Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With a late-war Type 99 that I actually think I like a bit more. It's cruder than the First Series, doesn't have the goodies on my 21st or 24th series rifles, and yet I kinda like it. It reminds me of my '43 Mosins- roughly finished but functional.

Or at least, it would be functional if it weren't squishy with cosmolene, the trigger barely functions and if the extractor could fit over a zert I could probably grease equipment by dry-firing it.

Not having a pod or dustcover or sight protector wings or pod-lug band or AA wings or cleaning rod means it's also quite a bit lighter, so that might be why I like it too.

Bought it at a local auction, competing against a lurker from the boards here, he got a mummed fourth-series that'd been poly'ed and the bands and fittings stove-painted for something like $350, and I got mine for $326, which was far more than I intended, but I forgot about 10% commission and 10% tax...

Here she be. Type 99, 37th Series, matching bolt and extractor to recce, no mum, one vent hole, no sight protectors, no pod-lug-band, no wings, un-knurled safety, chatter-marked stock, a big dent on the left from another rifle's sling swivel, and two screw-holes from it being fixed to a plaque.

The real disappointment is that Albacore and I were looking at the miserable, indecipherable photos of the auction preview, and damned if the one didn't look like a Siamese "wreath" property mark had been stamped on the one rifle. When I got there to look it over in person, it turned out to be candle wax.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Albacore told me to go to the auction because if it was really a Siamese marked rifle we figured we could make out like bandits.

Same auctionhouse had the Type 96 LMG telescopic sight in the rubberized canvas case last year that we were also scheming on.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeesh, we've been at this for two years and we haven't managed to get a single rubberized scope pouch or two-thousand-dollar helmet cover to peddle off on the forum and use to fund the Mosin habit?

I've just got a stack of T99s and you got that paratrooper knife. Maybe we should start scheming in the limey forums?

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,323 Posts
Yeesh, we've been at this for two years and we haven't managed to get a single rubberized scope pouch or two-thousand-dollar helmet cover to peddle off on the forum and use to fund the Mosin habit?

I've just got a stack of T99s and you got that paratrooper knife. Maybe we should start scheming in the limey forums?
Hahaha no way. I've already got the only Enfield I've ever been interested in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
37th series

I too just picked up a nice 37th series Tokyo Juki Kogo rifle. My serial number is 22092. It is matching with mum scrubbed but outline still visible. Long range sight without wings. Split band not made for monopod.Three screw front band un -numbered. Metal buttplate. Cleaning rod missing. It is a very pretty rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.