Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today I check out a shop about 20 minutes down the highway and am pretty suprised to see an SVT-40 leaning up behind the counter. I ask to check it out and see it's a 1941 rifle, refurb, all electropenicled matching except for the magazine. It has the sniper notch. The bore had pretty strong rifling, but was a little dark. It was full of dust and looked like it had been sitting for years. I ask the price, fully expecting something outrageous considering SVTs are hard to find in California and when they do show up for sale the asking price is usually $1,500 (and they do sell at that price here). The $150 bubba M-44 and $400 Enfield weren't very encouraging either. I was shocked when the guy said $750 and started to think about actually buying it. It was pretty easy to make up my mind when the says, "oh yeah, it comes with these" and pulls out an SVT manuel of some kind, an extra mag (repro), and an original 1941 SVT scope with mount (I think the mount is legitmate). I was off to the bank in a flash.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,581 Posts
You may have scored a kill. Post us some pics. The mount, if original would bring that. One complete rifle, which may have been OK, just sold on Gunbroker for $3000. Even if the mount and scope are repros, and the rifle has an added knotch, you did very well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congratulations, albacore! Sounds like you have used up your allocation of Good Luck for a LONG time. ;)

·
Silver Bullet member
402 Posts
Awesome buy! Congratulations

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,096 Posts
That's a great find. You'd better buy your lottery ticket just in case your good luck is still holding.

·
Diamond Member
5,825 Posts
Albacore, Congratulations! I am green with envy. How's the new apartment, and where is it??? Denny

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Congrats on a great find. Post pictures soon so that we all may drool over your new rifle.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Way to go. Just keep looking in the same places that were empty last week and every so often :D:D:D

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
I was stuck packing corn silage in a overheating FR-10B industrial loader with a malfunctioning cab fan when he called me up about it, waffling back and forth about "a svt, but it's seven hundred fifty bucks" to which I told him to buy it, because it was a good price. Then he added in that it's got a damn scope and spare mag, and I coulda killed the kid. If I wasn't busy makin' silage and he wasn't on the other coast busy buyin' that SVT like I told him so I wouldn't have to.

Welcome to the club, buddy.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was stuck packing corn silage in a overheating FR-10B industrial loader with a malfunctioning cab fan when he called me up about it, waffling back and forth about "a svt, but it's seven hundred fifty bucks" to which I told him to buy it, because it was a good price. Then he added in that it's got a damn scope and spare mag, and I coulda killed the kid. If I wasn't busy makin' silage and he wasn't on the other coast busy buyin' that SVT like I told him so I wouldn't have to.

Welcome to the club, buddy.

Hahahah I called you on the way to the bank.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
I bet this will be a long 10 days! Congrats! Oh and I thought that mag was over the amount of shells they allow in Cali? Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts