Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As BAF pointed out in his recent post on his Lithuanian Model 1924L Mauser short rifle, Lithuanian Mausers are not only very rare, but very diffuclt and time consuming to restore. The majority of these rifles that have appreared for sale in the past 10-15 years are rifles that were imported by Century from China or Albania in the late 1980's and sold through North America until the late 1990's. All that I have seen (maybe 5 or 6) were mixed parts guns. Restoring one of these rifles with proper parts and wood is a near-life-long quest as BAF can attest!

However, there are known M.24L rifles which were very likely GI bringbacks or trophy rifles. Recently, I received pictures of one such rifle from a fellow Gunboards member, Budlouky, showing an untouched original FN-made Lithuanian M1924L short rifle original condition, untouched since WW II...except for what Bud refers to as a few mouse teeth marks. I am attaching Bud's photos below. I call your attention to the fact that although this rifle exactly replicates the design of the Czechoslovakian VZ.24, it, (and all other known original condition 24L's), was made in Belgium by FN, Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre of Herstel, Liege. All Lithuanian Mausers made by FN observed so far use the M1930 receiver, a standard length receiver as opposed to the shortrer intermediate length receivers used on the M1922 and M1924 Mausers sold by FN to Yugoslavia, Mexico, Brazil, Iran and China, 1924-1933.

The crest on Bud's rifle is the second of three crest types known so far to have been used on Lithuanian 24L's. As you can see, it features the unusual image of what has been referred to by H. L. Gaidis (see his Lithianian rifle article in "Gun Report", January 1981, pages 14-19) as the "Pillars of Gediminas", a Lithuanian national icon dating back many centuries. (See Olson, "Mauser Bolt Rifles", page 157, and Ball, "MMRotW", 4th ed., page 238-240 for all three crests)

The other two crests are: The first and earliest known is the one you see in my avatar, with an "FN" logo over "M.24L". The third and last type is the famous crest consisting of the words "Ginklu Fondas" ("Arms Fund" in English) over "1937" over the Gate of Gediminas icon (1st pic below), over "24L",

Although Gaidis' history of these rifles (the "Gun Report" article above) estimates a production of 100,000, serial numbers over 75,200 have not been reported...as yet.

Bud, please let us know any of the history of this rifle which you can pass along.

Also, if anyone has any serial number information on Lithuanian 24L's which they care to share, I would appreciate hearing, either by post here, or by PM.

Finally, in Bud's pictures below, please note the use of the "Pillars" in stick figure form as a Lithuanian inspection/acceptance marks on many, many small parts. These are the parts that BAF has spent years finding to complete his restoration!

Bud and I would appreciate hearing more from collectors and students of Lithuanian arms, and all others with an interest in these rare rifles!
Best Regards,
John

·
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Fred,
Good luck in your hunt. They rarely appear, and when they do you practically have to pry it out of their owners' hands as they're being taken off life support. :D

Either that....or it's an ex-Albanian wreck (like mine) in need of an extreme makeover, if not divine salvage.
Best Regards,
John

·
Silver Bullet member
2,374 Posts
John here is mine. I know the stock is not correct. 98% of the parts have the Lith. Acceptance mark even though she is not matched. I think I sent you many detail PICs a few years back. This must have been a Stalingrad rifle then went to China after the war. KFS ATL GA import from the late 80's. HTH Ed

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,353 Posts
I did buy a mangled Chinese mauser that came from the springfield sporters auction-Just for the FN bolt that had the "gates" Lithuanian proof mark on it to restore the 24L Mauser I have.It came with a CZ straight bolt in it.Jan Gardiner has the best 24L mauser I have ever seen,98%blue,its really something.I will have to dig my worn one out and post some pictures of it.John you hit the nail on the head again

·
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John here is mine. I know the stock is not correct. 98% of the parts have the Lith. Acceptance mark even though she is not matched. I think I sent you many detail PICs a few years back. This must have been a Stalingrad rifle then went to China after the war. KFS ATL GA import from the late 80's. HTH Ed

Hi Ed,
Thanks for posting your pictures and the serial number. What parts are not Lithuanian marked? The upper sling swivel and band appear to be something other than Lithuanian...maybe Yugoslav?
Regards,
John

·
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did buy a mangled Chinese mauser that came from the springfield sporters auction-Just for the FN bolt that had the "gates" Lithuanian proof mark on it to restore the 24L Mauser I have.It came with a CZ straight bolt in it.Jan Gardiner has the best 24L mauser I have ever seen,98%blue,its really something.I will have to dig my worn one out and post some pictures of it.John you hit the nail on the head again

Hi Keith,
Sounds like both you and Ed have Lithuanians 24L's mported from China. Is your rifle's serial number in the 50,000 range? We'll have to see if we can get Nate to post photos of Jan's rifle! :)

Here are a few photos of my Lithuanian 24L with the FN logo.
Regards,
John

·
Silver Bullet member
2,374 Posts
John,without taking her down if I remember correctly the stock and its hardware are not Lith.. The "H" band is Lith. marked.HTH. Ed

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Great post. To think of the history these rifles saw. Will be on the look out for one for me.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Mauser dad I think your rifle does have original type stock. Google Lithuanian Rifles. These rifle did NOT all have four swevils.

John Wall---mine is serial 71711. I have a spec sheet made up on my rifle I could mail you or any interested person. It was printed in the Military Rifle Journal, May 2009, #196, along with my description.

·
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mauser dad I think your rifle does have original type stock. Google Lithuanian Rifles. These rifle did NOT all have four swevils.

John Wall---mine is serial 71711. I have a spec sheet made up on my rifle I could mail you or any interested person. It was printed in the Military Rifle Journal, May 2009, #196, along with my description.

Hi Dave,
That reminds me. I have to renew my subscrition to MRJ and get a bunch of back issues. :)

What is the crest on your Lithuanian #71711? Is the stock numbered to the receiver and barrel? Can you post any pictures?
Regards,
John

·
Silver Bullet member
2,374 Posts
Lornedavis,thank you for that info. Very interesting. I did a search as you suggested but could not find a site with PICs or info for the type of stock that I have. Sir would you happen to have a link? Do you know if the stocks had any type of Lith. marking? Thanks. Ed

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Mine is serial number 228?? I can't remember the last 2 numbers off hand right now. No other parts numbered, pretty early serial number by the looks of it....

If anyone has any loose Lithuanian parts PLEASE speak up I'm sure one of the dozen of so of us could easily use the part to help put one of these wonderful rifles back in one piece...

Thanks so much for the info John Wall!....

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

On a side note:

Someone should seriously think about putting this link up as a "sticky" at the top of the mauser forum--maybe make a dedicated heading as "rare & unusual mausers" then links to such rare and unusual guns so people can easily find such rare breed of guns for referance-
IE:
Experimentals mausers :link..abc123
Honduras mausers link...abc124
Lithuanian m24l :link...abc125
etc:

all of the above shoud be stored in one little handy-dandy-linky sticky link above...as new info becomes available as time passes, simple add it to the link....

-because sometimes the rearch function just does'nt do a link like this one justice!

I find myself searching for long lost posts that I lost personal book marks for waisting hours on--but da$n it--the info is well worth finding for sure!

BAF

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
John Wall and Mauserdad;--My rifle is in a VZ24 stock with lower band, bayo lug with the circle Z Czech stamp. Stock has no number. All other parts with serial match, bolt, barrel and reciever. All other un-numbered metal parts have the stick columns inspector stamp. The crest is GINKLU FONDAS over 1937 over the Columns crest over 24L. The butt plate has no serial but the number 97 is stamped near the top. Rack number? Some thing I have never seen mentioned is the fact the rear sight starts at 100 meters and the front sight is noticably higher. Mauserdad;;--on the first page of the site, third paragraph down, in the last line it gives a link. It is the last word, "here". There are several other links which are all hi-lighted in a purple color.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,374 Posts
Lornedavis,found the link. Thank you. I know that site. I had provided some detail PICs of Lith. marked parts. My thoughts are ,are these strocks original to the rifle? China did have a large contract with FN for rifles. Thats why I was asking about possible Lith. marks on the stock. It would be nice if we could confirm that one of the contract shipments to Lith. had this style of stock. Maybe John might have some insight on this. Thanks. Ed

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Mauserdad-- I have never seen an original Lith. stock, of any kind. Take your rifle apart, most stick inspection stamps on metal parts of my rifle are under the wood line. I would look in the barrel channel under rear sight, maybe under butt plate. My info comes from the site I linked you too. Is it correct? I do not know for sure but it makes sense to me. Many of these rifles have VZ stocks so they are obvious rebuilds. they fit VZ stocks so that would be an obvious replacement. (not all FN rifles will fit VZ stocks). The rifle pictured above looks like a VZ stock to me (check Ball's book). My Lith./VZ stock has no serial so I think it was dedicated to this re-build.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,374 Posts
Good idea.Will look when I get a chance to take her apart. Thanks. Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
looking for some help
I just came upon one of these rifles . the story goes grandpa brought it back from the war , well grandpa is past now so no info from him...the gun has been in the basement..so its rusty
the crest is like the one on John avatar and sn # is 15735 , the number on the stock is wore down but the last two numbers match, the bolt number however does not match ..
i would like to restore it, but do not want to retract from any value it may have.. anyone point me in the right direction? have links for other places to read up on it, how to disassemble it to clean it, so i don't damage anything.
I can try and post pictures if anyone would like to see it. also what caliber is it?? thanks for any help

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sent pics to BAF as site said i need a security token?? so hopefully if the ones i sent to BAF are good enough maybe he can help me get them posted for all to see.
thanks
rob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts