Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe what I turned up while doing a bit of bottle digging. How the heck this thing ended up in a ravine in North East Ohio has me stumped, as I know the residents of the property in question back to at least 1910. I was thinking civil defense, but it seems rather too far gone to have been dumped in the 50's. Perhaps it was used as a hard hat when the place was logged in the 20's and 30's...
Soil
Sand Soil

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
When I was a kid, my brother and I each had WW1 helmets to play with . Last thing I remember about them is we were using M-80's or cherry bombs to launch them. They probably got lost in the woods or in the fields so I can imagine that is how the one you found ended up there.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
That is fairly bizarre. I live in South East Ohio and my cousin found a M1917 helmet in his grandparent's barn, no idea how it got there. It was in better shape so I restored it for him.
Many of the Veteran's helmets ended up hanging in the barn, if you cousin's grandfather or Greatgrandfather did not serve, then it could have belonged to a neighbour, or hired hand. But then it could have been bought surplus in the 60s:)
Best
Gsu

·
Registered
861 Posts
That kind of things weren't worth much even in the 60s and 70s. There would be barrels with bayonets sold for a dollar or two apiece. Surplus was everywhere and for sale cheap. I remember finding a nice Nazi helmet in a dump at KC in the 60s. I can remember when you saw a lot of people wearing surplus clothes and boots all the time. When was the last time you saw that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.