Gunboards Forums banner

Ammo Storage Test

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Galaxieman 
#1 ·
Well, not really, but I found a 20 rd packet of 1984 Albanian that had gotten lost in the trunk of my car for ~ 3 years. The ammo was in the bottom of the wheel well. The trunk leaks, so the ammo had been wetted repeatedly and probably submerged from time to time, and gotten pretty hot (this is Atlanta.) The paper wrapper had disintergrated pretty much, although some rounds had the remains of the wrapper welded to the base of the rounds. That was the only place it stuck, the base and a few bits on the primers. The brass was not too bad looking, but the steal in the bullets was corroding badly, with eruptions of hard rust coming through the copper jacket. Mostly this was happening at the tips. For the heck of it, I decided to try to shoot some of it. I chose the 5 rds with the least visable damage for the test. One round fired, the other 4 would not fire no matter how many times I tried. I was kind of suprised that any fired.

#5 ·
It actually was probably not wet for long, just intermittently wet. My next test is 20 rds of Russian that got lost in the trunk, but did not get wet. They somehow got into the spare tire well under the carpet. There is some discoloration of the cases, I believe these are copper washed, but the ammo looks fine otherwise. I'm betting that it will all go bang. Might get to it Friday. This was good ammo when I got it, not the Russian "click-bang" stuff.

#11 ·
Hmmm, any one else thinking Jimmy Hoffa?:eek:

#8 ·
i shot some 7.62X39 that was left in the trunk of a lincoln for a couple of years, gas had spilled onto it from a leaking gas can i had hauled for a friend, the laquer had melted into a flat glob that popped off easily..... it shot great, but wet ammo can be dangerous, that's why they say..... "keep your powder dry."

#9 ·
The size of the trunk on my car, (1980 Mercedes 300SD) there might be a couple of bodies hidden in there. Curb weight of nearly 4000 lbs, or about 4 times that of a honda Civic, and I get 35 mpg highway. I've been trying to clean it out, as it's mostly being used as my second car now, although I drove it from Atlanta to Boston and back in June. Aside from a few oddities, like the leaking trunk, lousy AC, and vacuum controlled everything, it's the most reliable car I have ever owned.

As far as Sumac, I've got home project that I've been working on for months, and I promised the wife it would be done this weekend. Last night she decided she did not like the color of the paint SHE picked out, so another coat goes on tonight. If I can get that done, and get the base boards replaced, I might manage a trip to the range.

NATC is Saturday, but don't tell Ted.

#10 ·
You come around my area and you can still hear me crying.

1080 rounds of steel core 5.45x39 in an opened tin. Behind a door in my cabin. Jack Russel dog found and 'marked' it. Several times until tin was soaked inside and I smelled it.

CORRODED beyond belief! Bullets turned GREEN. I cleaned a few with drill and wire brush (time consuming and scared me). They fired! A few stuck in my SAR2 chamber.

Not worth the trouble to clean. I stashed them in my ammo shack. Tumbler wouldn't clean either. Sigh.

Anyone want CHEAP ammo? Comes with dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.