Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a box of old Norma 7.7 Jap for $10. I couldn't say no because of the price, but I'm a little nervous because of the age of the ammo. The guy that sold it to me said it's about 40 years old. The lead tips are corroded, but still in one piece. Since it's just the tip, I think it's safe to fire, but I wanted to get more opinions before I put them in my rifle.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
it will either go off or go click,either way its no big deal,fire em off and reload em.If the case was nasty you might have a problem,but the tip of the projectile isnt one except for performance.. Now if they are old handloads,Id say pull the bullets or at least a couple of them and make sure whats in their, but if their factory loads shooting them is the way to go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it will either go off or go click,either way its no big deal,fire em off and reload em.If the case was nasty you might have a problem,but the tip of the projectile isnt one except for performance.. Now if they are old handloads,Id say pull the bullets or at least a couple of them and make sure whats in their, but if their factory loads shooting them is the way to go.
I feel like they're factory loads, but I don't know for sure and I don't really know how to pull them apart. I'm bringing my friend, who is a CRSO, with me and he'll make sure I don't kill myself or something. From what I gathered, it's safe to try out. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't fire or that it won't be very accurate. I just hope I don't get a lot of crud in my barrel; it was a pain to clean.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
The chrome lined bores are typically very easy to clean. Even the others are pretty easy to clean as the Medford style rifling is more rounded so fowling at the edge of the groove does not gather fowling like traditional rifling.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
old cylindric powder gets ...well,interesting over time and bouncing around, but not dangerous ,usually, just unstable sort of like a couple collectors I know. pulling them is likely safer, but shootin em is much more fun.Sha....err I mean certain collectors, really like dirty old ammo ran thru their MG's :D breaking down ammo is a pain and not nearly as much fun, and hang fires get such a cool reaction if your out with a RSO, he'll turn a really cool shade of purple and everything.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.