Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using some brass-cased Bulgarian (possibly Albanian) that I purchased from Century awhile back. I've noticed certain 10-round packages show cracks and what appear to be holes burned through the case after firing, typically around the neck and/or shoulder. I have noticed this when using with a variety of mosin rifles.

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but should I be at all concerned? I haven't noticed an gasses escaping from the receiver or any problems during firing or with the operation of the rifles.

Thanks,

Babba

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The only time a split case bothered me was when it went from the neck to the rim and pieces flew back in my face. That was 50's dated Yugo 8mm.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,843 Posts
As long as the splits aren't going below the shoulder I wouldn't let it bother me. That's after firing, if it's split before firing it shouldn't be used.
+1. I have had very acceptable results from both the LB and HB Bulgarian. Only one split case so far, and having the brass to sell after firing helps, too.

Poot

·
Copper Bullet member
1,379 Posts
Both Bulgy light and heavy have functioned well in my MN 38, 44, 91/30 and Finn 30 and 39.
The ammo feeds, shoots and ejects wel,> Had, maybe, 1% neck splits. Not really an issue.
I's buy more.
riflemanone

·
Registered
682 Posts
Is it the star-3-10-50 stuff? I ordered some from SOG a few weeks ago and it came on strippers. I think they still have it. Anyway, I had maybe 10 of them split at the neck or shoulder, and only 1 at the rim. Got hit by gas and debris. It seems more powerful than the '53 I have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same splits you mentioned with '53 dated light ball. No gas leakage, but a little disconcerting. Recently ordered some of the 10-50 stuff on strippers and got splits near the base with gas leakage, but only in 91/30s. Had no splits in M44s. Probably still safe to shoot, but wear your glasses definately.

·
Registered
314 Posts
like has been said as long as the brass isn't crazy deformed or anything i wouldn't worry about it. splits in a bolt action are nothing to worry about. these old rifles can handle a lot of strange ammo.

i get splits all the time and its nothing to fret over.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
'52 and '53 Bulgie light ball bears a serious pre-load look at the indivdual rounds before firing. I consider this stuff potentially dangerous, although others will disagree.

I have some that I can easily pull the bullets out of the cases with a couple fingers. Case cracks out of the box. Mnay with large dents in cases. Powder when dumped onto a flat surface burns fast and bright. IMHO, this vintage is crap and you should avoid buying it. Like a wine that didn't age at all well in long term storage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts