Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have about half of a can of 762x54 that was previously/currently corroded.... tarnished cases... brass washed I think. Loose rounds culled from some past endevor... dumped into a 30 cal MG ammo can. been sitting in there for over a year... flooded but remained dry. cases were nasty, not going into my chambers....

when I opened the can I heard a swissssssssssh...... and then a big stink filled the room... was not planning on shooting them but I am really not planning on shooting them. Ideas on what I should do withe them? I could used them whole for sinkers while fishing for crabs, or just chunk them in the salt water....

I'd like to free up the ammo can for other duties........ good ammo storage. never got into pulling projos but it is an idea, if I can find and EX set up for my old trusty lee turrent press.... humm.... Lee Loader in x54//// could be cool, the 308 is fun

Did have about 4k other rounds flooded, bout half are dudes now... maybe a good puller is a good idea, just not a big reloader fan, open to suggestions

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If you reload at all, I would highly recommend in getting a good collet style bullet puller and pull the bullets. That way you can at least salvage something from them.

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Use an old barrel or a reasonable facsimile and put the bullet in and bend the case mouth so the bullet falls out. No reason to smack with an inertia puller or mess with a collet if the brass is not commercial.

Reactions: NY50/70

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Was given about 700 rounds of WWII 303 British ammo that had very poor storage. Used a kinetic or inertia bullet puller. That asphalt sealant on the bullet is/was a pain in letting the bullets go. Cleaned off the asphalt sealant and stored away ever since. Powder (cordite) pulled and disposed of by burning and primers popped in an old P14. Cleaned that barrel with boiling water for three days and about 20 years later still bright and shiney. Cases went to the scrap yard. Frank

·
Platinum Bullet Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
humm

Use an old barrel or a reasonable facsimile and put the bullet in and bend the case mouth so the bullet falls out. No reason to smack with an inertia puller or mess with a collet if the brass is not commercial.
that does not mess up the projo?, seems like it would be fast if you got it going... dont want to use any of my barrels.... think i have a length of scrap from a 300blk sbr i made...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
that does not mess up the projo?, seems like it would be fast if you got it going... dont want to use any of my barrels.... think i have a length of scrap from a 300blk sbr i made...
I would not do that. Too much of a chance of damaging a bullet. Sticking the bullet in a barrel then bending the case till it comes loose, sounds like a good way to bend or severely dent a projectile.
Collet pullers are the best. I have one and when set up, it takes no time to pull bullets.

·
Silver Bullet member
49,717 Posts
Time vs materials...vs buying new bullets ?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and another question

Time vs materials...vs buying new bullets ?
dies+powder+collet puller+brass+ collet chuck.... yea that is about $120 just to reuse some old tarnished projos. think i'll throw a box of them in the fishing tackle box for crab weights, can honestly say I've never enjoyed a reloading session... maybe if i had virgin primed brass but i dont buy that, if i wanna shoot itty bitty titty groups I break out the 17hmr.

And another question.... So I did have several 1000 rounds go under water in the Ike flood. Inital testing showed 4-8 rounds per box of 15 or 20 are now duds.... totally sucks, some of the ammo is circa 1934 and used to go bang 100% Sometimes I quickly recock the rifle and try to light it off a second time, occasionally they light off... but by that time I'm a bit frigidity and thus not shooting really good groups... I hate to hear the click and no bang

Are the miss fires more dangerous to handle? the x54R is berdan, the 8mm is various combloc copper cased probably berdan primers as well, I know when I start shooting the stuff up I will have a big pile of duds......sad sad sad..... I may decided to pull the boolits due to the number of them

TIA, JL

·
Registered
357 Posts
Tried a few different things over the years. If you don't care about the brass I have used a 2x4 which I drilled some holes. Like the barrel method but scars the bullets less than the metal will.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Inertia pullers are cheap, just put some rag or padding in it for a cushion so you don't damage the bullet tips. It'll be good exercise and give you a good strong hammering arm.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
If the cartridge has a tough sealant you can run them through a bullet seating die and push them slightly further in to break the sealant. Then using your inertial puller will be easier.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Yup save bullet if intact... Fertilize yard with powder.. Junk the case... Can oil soak them with old oil change oil...

·
Registered
49 Posts
The gases coming off are toxic. When nitrocellulose exhausts the secondary amines added in as a deterrent it gives off NOXes and nitric acid that eats the case from the inside out. The process is autocatalytic, so once it starts it goes fast.

One thing I’ve found is that nitric acid formation clumps up the powder, so if you give it a little shake and hear a sound, the round is almost always still good.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
In the early 2000's I had quite a few Bulgarian 7.62x54r that were split caeses and the few that were not were " Pop........and then Click.......boom, and after a nice crisp Click..........and then some click...Chug....

Took 'em a mile offshore and dumped the tin. Kept the tin and use it to wash gunparts during cleaning.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
humm

I do something similar but with a suitably sized hole drilled in a hardwood block, not damaged a bullet yet

·
Platinum Bullet Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The gases coming off are toxic. When nitrocellulose exhausts the secondary amines added in as a deterrent it gives off NOXes and nitric acid that eats the case from the inside out. The process is autocatalytic, so once it starts it goes fast.

One thing I’ve found is that nitric acid formation clumps up the powder, so if you give it a little shake and hear a sound, the round is almost always still good.
Hey99, yea i have noticed all the ones that shaky shaky go bang most of the time, unless it is a compressed load like some of my 8mm with long bullets. Guess there is no harm in trying to shoot first and collet pull the duds or am I wrong?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey99, yea i have noticed all the ones that shaky shaky go bang most of the time, unless it is a compressed load like some of my 8mm with long bullets. Guess there is no harm in trying to shoot first and collet pull the duds or am I wrong?
Not sure—I assume if the powder is that far gone, it would have destroyed the primer? If not, I suppose the primer could still go off, but it might be a light charge.

Some of these rounds can be so deteriorated they are being eaten by acid from the inside out. It’s the same reaction than happens in old (probably stored in places that were too hot) cans of powder where you open the can and a puff of red smoke comes out. I’ve only personally seen that once.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
and another question

And another question.... So I did have several 1000 rounds go under water in the Ike flood. Inital testing showed 4-8 rounds per box of 15 or 20 are now duds.... totally sucks, some of the ammo is circa 1934 and used to go bang 100% Sometimes I quickly recock the rifle and try to light it off a second time, occasionally they light off... but by that time I'm a bit frigidity and thus not shooting really good groups... I hate to hear the click and no bang

Are the miss fires more dangerous to handle? the x54R is berdan, the 8mm is various combloc copper cased probably berdan primers as well, I know when I start shooting the stuff up I will have a big pile of duds......sad sad sad..... I may decided to pull the boolits due to the number of them

TIA, JL
Don't want to reload them as components? Then it's time to buy a British Vickers MG with conversion kits to 7.62x54r and 8mm, and a belt loader--that will take care of worries about possible duds...should be fine to run the mg, clear a dud, run some more, clear, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts