Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PSL on the way and have narrowed down my ammo choices and want some more feedback from you guys. I did manage to trade for some 80's Russian LB, 60's Czech ST and some Wolf non corrosive 148 gr. I also purchased 2 tins of the 80's Bulgarian. I would prefer non corrosive but it looks like it is unavailable now. I contacted Wolf, they said March 09 for more to be imported.
It looks like the 60's Czech ST and 80's Bulgarian get the most recommendations. What would you get, the Czech ST or the Bulgarian 80's LB? I just want to make sure I have enough ammo in case something changes after Jan 20th.
Thanks, Ken

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,557 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Czech Silver tip from the 60's. It's super accurate in my PSL.

Do you have a source for it? I haven't seen it for sale recently except for ridiculous prices on Gunbroker.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Every PSL or any other Milsurp has its own preference for what shoots best in gen.

Only for sure thing is that you should only shoot LB in your PSL from all reports that I have heard.
We never use HB in ours because of reports of damage.

Buy a little of ea. flavor available and shoot it to see what it likes.

That is the way most of have done it for years.

There are some milsurps and ammo that are well known to be compatible without testing, but not the PSLs IMO.

Besides, your choices of ammo are getting more and more limited as supplies seem to be drying up on a lot of the "good" stuff.

Bottom line is. Buy a few boxes of what is available and shoot it. You will know right away what shoots best, then buy quantity.

FWIW Czech ST from the sixties is some of most accurate 54R ever in bolt rifles. It does have issues with sticky bolts in some rifles, but it is consistant and accurate.

Bulgarian from the eighties has had mixed reviews in our circles.

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,557 Posts
Picked up PSL in March of 2008. Tried every light ball that I could find. Mine LOVES the Polish light ball.

Several guys have good luck with the Czech light ball, but mine loves Polish the best ! ! :)

What year is your Polish ammo? Does it have the silver tip?

I just picked up a can of the Polish silver tip ammo today at a gun show to try in my PSL. They had Bulgarian, Russian and Polish all for the same price.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree that each rifle will have it's preference. Based on the posts I have read the Bulgarian, Czech ST, Polish and Russian are all good choices for the PSL.

For the most part the ammo is sold in tins, no tloose packs. It is available that way but i will only purchase in tins for now. As time and weather permit, I will try the to se what shoots best.

So far I have managed to buy and trade for some 60's Czech, 80's Russian, 80's Czech, Polish and purchased 2 tins of 80's Bulgarian. The total id about 4K of ammo so far. I will try the Bulgarian and if it is as good as described I will pick up a few more tins of that and I should be set for X54R ammo. I too am concerned about ammo drying up or no longer being imported (Obama). I am trying to get what will work well while it is still available.

I haven't seen anything but positive posts about the Bulgarian 8-0's ammo. I haven't read every post but from what I have seen it should be an excellent choice for the PSL. From what I have seen the best choices are the 60's Czech, the 80's Bulgarian then the Russian and Polish.

Thanks for all of the info and all of the opinions expressed are appreciated. I know there is no black and white answer to my question but I want to get the ammo now while I have some choices and prices don't seem to be going anywhere except up. I am trading for a TG PSL and ordered a second PSL from AIM 2 weeks ago. Just want to get what I want while I can and enough ammo to last a while.

Ken

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hello jjj,

My first batch of Polish is dated "72". My second batch of Polish came from AIM. It's dated "76". Both are silver-tip, and both shoot the same -- GREAT !

Have five full cases of each on hand -- that's gonna last me for a while . . .

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's five cases of "72" and five cases of "76" ! ! I bought the "72" ammo a few years back at $75 per CASE. And look at the price now ! !

When AIM starting selling the "76" I ordered six cases - already shot-up about a full case of the stuff -- Mosins get hungry too. :D

Still cheaper than reloads. If your PSL likes a certian flavor of 54R, you had better stock up NOW! Prices will not be going down . . .:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.