Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it o.k. to shoot Wolf steel case in a M1 Carbine. I have heard it is not recomended for the AR-15 I was wondering if the same was true of the M1? Thanks

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have tried Wolf in 3 different Inland rebuilds. All 3 were 100% reliable given good mags combined with USGI & ROK
Service ammo , and also with Service clone W296 handloads.
All 3 developed weak ejection after only a couple dozen rounds of Wolf. With a few more rounds each of the 3 shifted ejection patterns from around 1:00 o'clock back to about 5: o'clock: that's listed in the old TM as a sign of weak functioning. A few malf's also followed. I shoot a shoulder gun mostly left handed so I gave up on Wolf in M1 Carbines after that.
Other folks have reported broken extractors. Compare an AK extractor to an M1 Carbine
extractor , it may help you to decide.

For me , Wolf has been OK but sluggish in an Armalite Middy Carbine. I still use it for short range drills in AR middies , but clean very carefully after each session...
YMMV

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've had good luck with Wolf in my carbines. It certainly isn't National Match quality but it gives pretty good groups and, most important it's cheap and (usually) available (considering China is buying up all the metal in the world).

Keep in mind carbines aren't very accurate anyway much beyond 50 yards, so expensive ammo is wasted at longer ranges.

The only caution I would give is that Wolf is a very dirty ammo and it is essential you clean the gas piston and area around it every time you shoot. Carbon buildup will cause the action to become sluggish and Wolf produces plenty of carbon residue.

In the "Wish I'd Said That" department: "With Wolf ammo, the Russians found a way to make dirt explode!"

HT

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
i've put looaads of wolf through my carbine, and it works great. not sure if it's the gun or the dirty ammo, but after a hundred rounds or so, the bolt will sometimes stop short of locking forward all the way, and i have to give it a hearty thump on the back of the charging handle to seat it forward.

i love that gun...

·
Registered
548 Posts
FWIW:
I use Lubiplate on Carbines: that might explain some of the difference.

The other thing that I noticed was the large ( OK , huge ) amount of crud that Wolf blew back into the bolt face cavities around the extractor and ejector.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
FWIW:
I use Lubiplate on Carbines: that might explain some of the difference.

The other thing that I noticed was the large ( OK , huge ) amount of crud that Wolf blew back into the bolt face cavities around the extractor and ejector.
Steel case ammo seals the chamber only when pressure get HIGH.... until then: gas, soot, crud blows by the case into the receiver.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I've had good luck with Wolf in my carbines. It certainly isn't National Match quality but it gives pretty good groups and, most important it's cheap and (usually) available (considering China is buying up all the metal in the world).

Keep in mind carbines aren't very accurate anyway much beyond 50 yards, so expensive ammo is wasted at longer ranges.

The only caution I would give is that Wolf is a very dirty ammo and it is essential you clean the gas piston and area around it every time you shoot. Carbon buildup will cause the action to become sluggish and Wolf produces plenty of carbon residue.

In the "Wish I'd Said That" department: "With Wolf ammo, the Russians found a way to make dirt explode!"

HT

I beg to differ on your "50 yd" statement.
Perhaps yours don't do very well, but mine shoots better than the average M-1 at 100 yds.
Get one in good condition & feed it commercial ammo (mine just loves WW 110 gr JHP) and you'll be surprised. Many of them have been "rode hard & put away wet" so are not a good representative.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I like the Prvi Partizan .30 Carbine ammo. Works fine in my National Postal Meter, but does not give gilt edge accuracy.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Some Carbines do OK: Minute of fascist or NKPA .

Two of my Inlands routinely put 5 shots into 3 inches or a little less at 100 given decent ammo and decent wind conditions. One is glassed and one is fitted/adjusted a little but still 100% Garand Match legal and as-issued legit .

I haven't benched the 3rd carbine so I don't know about it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
CMP has a good deal right now:

AGUILLA .30 CALIBER AMMUNITION 438A Aguilla .30 Carbine Ammunition
$155

NLU 438A - 500 rounds. Manufactured by Aguila. .30 carbine. 110 grain. FMJ. Copper jacketed, brass case, boxer primed, non-corrosive.
Shipping & Handling per case $8.95. S&H to Alaska or Hawaii $16.95 per case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts