Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pettson
Posted - 09/10/2004 : 05:47:35 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found these when I was going through some boxes this morning. Had forgotten I had it...

For those that might not know, the 8x54 Krag saw some limited popularity back when the Krag and Mauser military rifles were plentiful, and labor cost was low. It was created by necking up the 6,5x55 to accept 8 mm bullets.
Rifles for it were usually converted Krags and mausers, with the barrels bored out to 8 mm and the chambers reamed to take the new cartridge. In the 50's, this was a low cost job!

1950's factory data from Norma for this cartridge claims a MV of 715 m/s for the 12,7g soft point, and 650 m/s for a 14,7g ditto. There were also HP and FMJ loads available.

The picture shows a box of 12,7g soft points, and to the right an 8x54 hollow point and a 6,5x55, also from the same period, loaded with the 10g "Alaska" bullet.

Pettson

Download Attachment:
92.12 KB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - Pettson on 09/10/2004 08:28:44 AM

Carcano
Posted - 09/10/2004 : 12:44:51 PM
Wow ! Have been searching for these for 25 years now, to go with my 8x54 hunting rifle (the first gun I ever bought... memories...). Wish I had a way to get such rounds...

swede
Posted - 09/28/2004 : 4:59:12 PM
I saw a M-96 chambered in 8x54 here in the USA several years ago . Looked to be be in 98% condition . At the time the dealer thought it was 8x55 , that is what the seller told him . It had an 8m/m bore for sure . Get this , he wanted $950 for it . Someone eventually bought it , but I do not know the final price . That is the only one I have heard of in the USA . Didn't Anders have a few boxes 8x54 Mannlicher ammo pictured on his Swede board a while back ? Are they interchangeable with the 8x54 Krag ?

Pettson
Posted - 09/29/2004 : 8:13:44 PM
Don't think they would be interchangeable. The Mannlicher is longer and have a different shoulder angle.
I haven't seen that post. Put a link here if you can find it again.

swede
Posted - 10/01/2004 : 1:15:22 PM
I could not find Anders post on the 8x54 ammo . It must have been posted before the last server change . The archives dosen't go back far enough . You will have to e-mail him direct . Someone gave him 2 boxes of 8x54 ammo & that is all I can remember .

Anders
Posted - 10/02/2004 : 03:07:26 AM
Originally posted by swede
I could not find Anders post on the 8x54 ammo . It must have been posted before the last server change . The archives dosen't go back far enough . You will have to e-mail him direct . Someone gave him 2 boxes of 8x54 ammo & that is all I can remember.
If memory serves me correctly we disscussed 6.5x54 made by NORMA (overstamped 6.5x55 boxes)

Download Attachment:
89.16 KB

Pettson
Posted - 10/02/2004 : 05:54:44 AM
Aah yes, neat boxes. Haven't got any of those...

swede
Posted - 10/02/2004 : 4:03:48 PM
Hello Anders : You are correct . I just don't remember things as well as I us to remember . Didn't you decide that ammo was the Greek Mannlcher-Schonauer round . Pettson , sorry for the mistake .

Pettson
Posted - 10/03/2004 : 02:17:27 AM
No problem, I have the same kind of memory...

Actually, I think those might be your regular 6,5x55, despite the marking. I haven't seen the cartridges in the boxes of course, so I could be wrong.
For a while, back in the 40's/50's, our 6,5 was for the civilian market labelled as 6,5x54. I haven't a clue how and why this came about, but it is listed that way in many catalogues from that period, from Norma, Metallverken, Vapendepoten and Jernbolaget...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts