Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been stuff written about this ammo in the past. Here's a refresher.

I was punching out primers and cleaning some 45 Schofield last night getting ready to do some reloading. I was having a real difficult time removing some primers and couldn't figure out the problem. Then I found a split case ... from factory ammunition???

So I started looking over the cartridges and found the problems were all related to some "American Ammunition" I had purchased some years ago. The reason I was having so many problems depriming was that the flash holes are not centered. I have to hand it to the Lee recapping die, that thing is tough.

Then I read up on A-Merc ammo. There are so many problems posted about it that it should not be on the market.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,864 Posts
I was at the range last summer and the gentlemen shooting a few tables down from me were shooting that brand. He had to borrow my cleaning rod on two occasions to clear squibs. And he only made it about halfway through the box.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI, pronounced "Sammy") is an association of American firearms and ammunition manufacturers. SAAMI publishes various industry standards related to the field, including fire code, ammunition and chamber specifications, and acceptable chamber pressure.[1] In the United States firearms and ammunition specifications are not overseen by the Consumer Product Safety Commission or any other branch of government. Consumers should be aware that only manufacturers that are members of SAAMI are bound by the Institute's guidelines.[2]

·
Copper Bullet member
763 Posts
Two types of brass get tossed in my scrap bucket with no thought of reloading: berdan primed, and Amerc. I really don't understand how they stay in business. Sometimes it does work, but as a whole it really is terrible stuff, to be avoided like the plague.

I take it back, a little. On a couple occasions I have tried reloading some berdan brass.:)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I've heard all those warnings--but before all of them I bought about 300 rounds of Amerc .30 carbine from Sportsman's Guide. The accuracy was terrible--really really terrible--minute of barn door at 50 yards!
However--I've reloaded those cases a couple of times now and have experienced none of the problems mentioned--all flash holes are centered, the primer pockets are correctly sized, and the brass seems neither too soft nor too hard. YMMV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts