Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I can heartily recommend his biography "Amedeo: A True Story of Love and War in Abyssinia" by Sebastian O'Kelly. Excellent read about a rather unappreciated theatre of World War II.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
98,793 Posts
I have read some accounts of the Abyssinia/Eritrea campaign to turf the Italians out, and a little bit on the Italian campaign against Haile Selassi, were the Fascisti used poison gas as well as modern weapons - and suffered what most would think were serious indignities if caught by the Abysinnians; i understand that a standard part of Abyssinian POW processing was castration.....

Edward Ellsberg (USN salvage expert) was sent to Massawa in Eritrea to clear the port and get the facilities up and running again after Italian sabotage before surrender. If you can find a copy of UNDER THE RED SEA SUN you'll learn some things.

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
Edward Ellsberg (USN salvage expert) was sent to Massawa in Eritrea to clear the port and get the facilities up and running again after Italian sabotage before surrender. If you can find a copy of UNDER THE RED SEA SUN you'll learn some things.
Found a copy for a reasonable amount on ebay. You're right, I learned some things, a lot of things. Lot to admire, lot to digest. And what a ripping good read, to boot. Thanks for pointing that one out. Oh, and if anyone else goes looking for the book, skip right by amazon. They have two hardcover editions, both with astronomical price tags.

John

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
98,793 Posts
Found a copy for a reasonable amount on ebay. You're right, I learned some things, a lot of things. Lot to admire, lot to digest. And what a ripping good read, to boot. Thanks for pointing that one out. Oh, and if anyone else goes looking for the book, skip right by amazon. They have two hardcover editions, both with astronomical price tags.

John
Ellsberg was an interesting character, with an interesting career, that included a number of pretty good books, any of which are well worth the reading should you run accross them. While he doesn't mention him in any of his books, he was a class-mate and a friend of Hyman Rickover. Ernie King thought well of him, which wasn't a distinction easy to come by.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts