Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says - am I the only one that has been dusting off their .22's and giving them a work out at each range session now? I've managed to chew through almost 4 bricks of .22 in the last 6-7weeks! :D
Maybe it's just me - but between the $$ of surplus right now and the fun factor (I had forgot how much I enjoy shooting .22s!), my .22s are again becoming a regular companion on trips to the range! :D

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I also whipped out my 10/22. I hadn't shot it in eons (I'm a blast/recoil junky) but I've been forced to economize. Honestly, I'm glad I did. I fell in love with the rifle and caliber all over again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm going to be doing alot more shooting my Chi-Com Type 56-1 with a full-auto 22kit, my Ruger AC-556 and M-11 with 22kits. Have stockpiled over 14,000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags.
Wish I had gotten more .223.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Even though I'm widely known (or at least a Rumor in My Own Time) as a Certified .22RF Junkie I've been going through even more of 'em in the past year or so. With the outrageous increases in the price of both surplus/generic CF ammo and reloading components I've been forced to make some fairly drastic changes in my shooting habits to cut the depletion rate on my dwindling hoards of both. Heck, I may even have to start saving cases and reloading 9x19, fer goshsakes!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have never stoped shooting the 22s Iv been collecting 22 rifles and 22 ammo for 40+ years And dont think I will never stop.

I found a new 22 rd Its name is the Interceotor by Aguila very good ammo the price is high like $40 a brick.

I shoot the hell out of the PMC Zapper I got it from CIA when it was $100 a 5000 rd case.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,912 Posts
I only recently got my Marlin 60 and Buckmark, so .22's have fun as well as novelty factor for me. I do like the fact you really don't have to limit yourself with the .22's: you can go insane and still only blow through one brick in a session which puts you in the hole only about $15. Perhaps not the best for disciplined spending of hard earned shooting money, but a nice change of pace.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My Match 64 and Exemplar are getting more use but Eley ammo ain't cheap.

·
Registered
675 Posts
22 ammo is about the only ammo I will buy at the moment. If I get bit by the ammo buying bug I will stop at wall mart and get a brick or two to put with the rest so it will cure the cravings.

·
Super Moderator
6,168 Posts
I'm getting back into .22s now, after some 40 years. I was just given my Mother's and my Father's Winchesters. His is a Model 1890 built in 1920 (.22 short); hers is a Model 62A built in 1956 (short and long rifle). His is in pretty rough shape; hers is excellent with a great looking bore.

So, you .22 guys - what type of ammo should I shoot in these old pieces? FMJ or lead nose? What do you buy for plinking, and what is easier to clean?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Stay away from Remington .22 ammo. It used to be good years ago but now it is filthy and nasty and QC is nill.
I buy Federal Auto Match in the 300 or 350 (can't remember) round carton at WM. It is a little higher than the cheapest, but it is superb .22 ammo.

A pic of those old Winchesters would be nice!!!

I'll bet those ole Winchesters don't know what a Makarov is, NB;)

·
Gold Bullet member+
334 Posts
I have a .22 conversion unit installed on a Bulgarian Makarov. I shoot 250 -550 rounds a week. Have been shooting it for about a year. I am now on my third firing pin. Practice makes perfect. I am punching an inch and a half hole through the target at 7 yds now every monday like clockwork. Love it. Shermysan

·
Gold Bullet member
4,792 Posts
.22 ammo is the only ammo that I am buying right now. Prices have not climbed like other ammo (yet) so I buy a brick or two each week and stock up. I take my Nylon 66 to the range regularly now and my Ruger Mark II. Cheap plinkin' !!!

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,174 Posts
Too bad about that Remington ammo. I bought several cartons of it on sale a couple of summers ago. Works fine in my bolt guns, but it won't feed at all in the old Ruger MKI. Haven't tried it in the 10/22 yet.

Just got another magazine for my 40 year old Browning T-Bolt & will need to put more ammo thru it soon.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess it isn't just me then! :)
I recently picked up a Stoeger Luger in .22 from the consignment case at my local dealer and other than the fact that it doesn't seem to like to ignite certain flavors of .22 (may need a new firing pin) - it seems to LOVE Winchester Wildcats! I've put 2 bricks through it already and have another 2 bricks on order with my dealer for next week delivery (he only got in Blazer with the last ammo shipment and I bought the last of the Wildcats)
Looking forward to more range time soon! :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yup, I've been looking at .22s more now. I just picked up a Ruger MK1 and a Ruger 10/22.

Right now I'm finishing up converting the 10/22 to look like a M1 carbine using a M1 carbine stock, upper HG, bands, etc. It's looking pretty cool so far. Should have it done soon.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,271 Posts
Maybe I'm crazy, but the CCI Blazer seems to be the most consistent of the cheap (~$10/brick) .22LR.

I agree with Parisite- Remington has become junk.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ah, yes. The good ol' days. It was no trouble at all to go through a 500 round brick of .22's in a weekend when I was a young whippersnapper. Unfortunately, I discovered that I was incorrect in my assumption that I would have a lot more time to do fun things when I got older! Still, it's hard to beat a .22 for a little Sunday afternoon relaxation.

My .22 inventory still includes:

1. Ruger 10/22
2. Remington Target Master (single shot)
3. '06 Winchester (pump)
4. BSA Martini (Olympic)
5. Beretta Mod.21A
6. S&W K-22 (Masterpiece)
7. Hi-Standard Tournament (original)
8. Hi-Standard Victor (original)

I may have forgotten one or two but thats most of them.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Celt, you got any pics of your High Standards? I have three myself.
Two Supermatic Citations and a Supermatic Trophy.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
I've definitely been shooting more .22, but have had no problems with the Remington through my Mossberg 151k.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, I have been shooting alot more 22 ammo. Have been for the last year and a half. Remington 22 ammo feeds fine in all my 22 rifles and pistols, its the FTF that p--s me off. I quit buying it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts