Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I see one...true that has only be three times...but they are priced triple what a "regular" enfield and aren't in much better condition. Is there something I don't know about them? I didn't think they were all that rare to cause such a premium to be placed on them. I know some of that has to do with the gun market around Fort Hood where every gun dealer's prices are $50-$150 over what they are just 40 minutes away but I have seen that at a gun show too Longbranch's for triple what the BSA or Savage is next to them.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
No, you're not missing anything. Not too long ago, everyone wanted a Savage, and the prices of those shot up. For some reason, it tends to be that way with No.4 rifles...never have quite figured out why, as they were all made to the same specs. There are the obvious cosmetic issues that arise from having bombs raining down on one's factories, but that's about it.

Personally, I'm a Maltby fan. ;)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Of all the wartime No.4's, the LB guns are usually the best fit and finished, often with deep rich blueing and nice walnut stocks (refurbs were parked). As a result, they are oftne prettier than the other No.4's. Here in Canada they have a following similar to the M1 rifle in the USA.

That being said, they all shoot about the same (No.4 rifles, tha is).

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
To truly understand the Long Branch mystique and the Canadian psyche you must experience the power of Canadian Beer and Duck Tape.

If you want a quick mind blowing Canadian experience drink a case of Molson and listen to Gordon’s Lightfoot’s song “The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald” at 78 rpm on your record player.

But then the Canadians must understand that the battle of the Alamo is where eight drunk Mexicans whooped all those Texicans. :eek:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Well,

To have a real taste to Canadian Beer, one should have try the Brador or the Carnaval (now both discountinued), both had 6.5% alcool. I still remind some 3% beer drinker friends from below the border the "morning" after they discovered Canadian charms....

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you want a quick mind blowing Canadian experience drink a case of Molson and listen to Gordon’s Lightfoot’s song “The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald” at 78 rpm on your record player.

The day the Edmund Fitzgerald sank , I was "somewhat" lost in the bush while deer hunting...carrying my fav rifle which is a '43 Longbranch.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,344 Posts
market demand.....

Long Branch was the second largest producer of the No. 4 Mk series, with Savage about 250,000 more than LB. IIRC, the nearest British producer was around 650,000. SO, that being said, Long Branches should not be priced higher on the rarity factor. I can't speak to what your sellers are pricing them at, but in my mind, they should have a little higher premium because the wood is nicer (N.A. walnut), and the little letters and numbers on the receiver heel are straight ;) , and don't look like they've been applied by a nearsighted 17 year old after a 3 day bender. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Everytime I see one...true that has only be three times...but they are priced triple what a "regular" enfield and aren't in much better condition. Is there something I don't know about them? I didn't think they were all that rare to cause such a premium to be placed on them. I know some of that has to do with the gun market around Fort Hood where every gun dealer's prices are $50-$150 over what they are just 40 minutes away but I have seen that at a gun show too Longbranch's for triple what the BSA or Savage is next to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts