Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall seeing Luger aluminum grips reference over the years -maybe French manufacture??- but never paid attention. Today I tried several different forms of Google searches and came up empty. Am I confused about something??

·
Banned
12,716 Posts
I have a "Gray Ghost" French P38. Grips are stamped steel and phosphated. Aluminum would have been too valuable to the jet and middle programs to use it for grips.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Impulse win on GB. I contacted Roger, who’s been running things since Gary Cole passed away, and he told me he brought it in from Israel a few months ago where it was owned by a collector. I honestly tired out of waiting for the perfect shooter Luger after having passed up many, that I just went for it, confident since Roger has hooked me up for years with odd stuff. Coming from Israel, and with unusual grips fills my cup :)

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I had a P38, FRENCH made from left over parts, with the FRENCH STAR, stamp. that had steel sheet metal stamped grip scales on it. maybe tin? made just before the plant was closed down. they ran out of parts I GUESS?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Coming from the Middle East, it could be a local made as well, though the etching looks very consistent- but they could have made a sand mould with OEM grips. I’ll have a better idea when I get it. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
In the late 1970s I bought a pair of aluminum grips made for a Colt S.A. at a gunshow in Texas. I was told that they were made in California in the 1950s for quick draw shooters. They were supposed to help with balance. I put them on a Colt with 4 3/4" barrel. They fit good but made the gun too heavy so I sold them. I don't know the name of the company that made them or if they made grips for other models. I kinda wished I'd kept them now as an oddity.
Dan

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
Gary used to come up with some winners. He got a bunch of goodies out of the Kolblitz museum. I was at NGD and saw a dealer setting up with a box full of Radoms, about 50 or more. I start looking thru them and picked a few I may want and Gary says they are all sold to "him" and that was Dennis K.. He said he left a few rough ones in his shop. I had wasted my time as Dennis had not even figured out pricing so early.

I called him the next week and he said he had a rough 38 eagle and a refurb from Russia that was probably an Eagle. The price was OK so I said send them. The 38 eagle was rough but all matching. Why the Russians or somebody did not refinish it, who knowns. The other had a force matched slide and Russian finish but had been a very late Eagle. Both had Polish magazines so I was OK regardless.

Nothing he found would surprise me. He worked it.

·
Silver Bullet member
31,838 Posts
I suspected it was cast, it looks like someone used the original wooden grips as a mold of some kind.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I'd think the two dissimilar metals (aluminum and steel) in direct contact with each other could cause a corrosive galvanic cell to be created at the contact point(s). One or the other metals (maybe both) could experience corrosion taking place and that wouldn't be good especially for the Luger.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.