Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a side by side double barrel 12 cal. British shotgun marked on right barrel "Altendorf & Wright Albion Works Birmingham", and on the left barrel "Proved fo Smokeless Powder", finely engraved and in general good conditions.
Unfortunately, the fore end was lost, and I'm searching for something to replace the lost one.
Some idea?
Thanks

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
I have a side by side double barrel 12 cal. British shotgun marked on right barrel "Altendorf & Wright Albion Works Birmingham", and on the left barrel "Proved fo Smokeless Powder", finely engraved and in general good conditions.
Unfortunately, the fore end was lost, and I'm searching for something to replace the lost one.
Some idea?
Thanks
Sir, you are more likely to find the British crown jewels in your soup than to find any spares whatsoever for this piece.

I have found two references to the Birmingham company of Altendorf & Wright -

1. The minutes of a long and involved parliamentary letter and dissertation on dealings with Bulgaria and the Balkans, in which a letter dated 9th April 1911 is mentioned in connection with the company, and

2. The Honour Roll of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, in which a soldier of this company served in WW1.

You would be advised to trawl the gun-shows in the hopes of finding a suitable fitting forend. None would have been made since around the beginning of WW1, when companies trading in UK that had German names were, for the most part, changed to something a little more Anglo - IF they survived at all.

If your gun is actually marked up as 12 cal, it is most unlikely to have been made in the UK. Continental guns are so-marked - British-made guns are marked up copiously around the breech with words such as 'bore', not 'cal'. Furthermore, British-made guns do not usually have terms such as 'prooved to smokeless powder'. The British proof laws also determine the wording and style of the proof marks - your gun, if it had been made in Birmingham where one of the two British Proof houses is located, should be marked Crown over BV [Birmingham view - the term used for inspection] and Crown over BN [Birmingham nitro [proof]]. You should also see stamps for the length of the cartridge case in inches, the charge of shot and the charge of propellant and the proof pressure in tons per square inch.

If you ain't got any of thes, you ain't gots a British-made gun.

tac

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer,
The caliber gun is not marked, and marks are absolutely British, I think, despite of the "Proved for Smokeless Powder" engraved upside on the left barrel.
I hope to find something of adaptable, but sounds like an hard fight.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
Thanks for the answer, The caliber gun is not marked, and marks are absolutely British, I think, despite of the "Proved for Smokeless Powder" engraved upside on the left barrel. I hope to find something of adaptable, but sounds like an hard fight.
Your gun is certainly English, as it had all the marks I told you about, plus a few more [choke and so on].

I can find no reference to the company after the 1911 date, although as I also noted, there were veterans from the company who served through WW1, so it must have survived at least THAT long [1914-1918].

I asked around today at my gun club, where there are a few dealers and afficionados of older English guns, but nobody had ever heard of the company that made your gun.

I can't help you any more.

tac

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread has been dead a while, but it's the only reference to Altendorf & Wright that I can find online!

I have just inherited an Altendorf & Wright shotgun similar to the one in the photo's above, though this one has hammers. I do not know it's history other then it would have spent a lot of time in Italy.

It has the same markings as the above gun "Altendorf & Wright Albion Works Birmingham" and "Proved fo Smokeless Powder"

I include some images for anyone who is interested, sorry for the poor focus.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,766 Posts
Nice shotguns, two needles in a hay stack.

Good luck on your search for a fore arm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.