Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I stopped by Saturday morning. On the Mosin front, there were lots of nice refurbed
91/30s (including some ex-dragoons), but other than a couple of Finns, we saw nothing else. If there were any M-91s, M-38s, or M-44s, we missed them. We did not see any ex-snipers, but frankly I did not check all the 1942 - 1944 Izhevsk rifles that closely, so there may have been some examples there.

We enjoyed the show, but I came back saving my money for another day.

Anyone else see anything unusual at the show?

aetius

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i picked a 1935 hex tula (nice deep tula stamping) SCW for $125, no flaming bomb stamp but had the made in ussr stamp and someone bought the 2 1934 tikka m27's that were there for 300 each, one had a F stamped barrel, a guy was asking if he could do any better one the pair and the vender said "those are rare sako made rifles, thats why they are 300 each" and there were no ex-snipers in the boxes eagle arms had out sat morning. there was a nice 1943 tula small date font for $130 in a laminated stock that almost followed me home but i had already bought the SCW. did you see a guy in marine digital camo pants with a camo alice pack on walking around? that was me

·
Diamond Bullet Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Pacomdiver,

If that SCW rifle is the one at the table near the food stand (dealer a fellow with white hair and beard), I looked at that rifle, but reluctantly passed. I missed the "Made in USSR" stamp. The rifle I saw had a sanded stock that still faintly had the remains of a Tula star cartouche. If we are talking about the same rifle, you took home a nice score.

aetius

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
no, this one was along the back wall

Text Material property Font

check out the stock color in different lighting, makes it look like 2 different rifles

Attachments

·
Diamond Bullet Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yours is not the one I saw. I do know that the rifle I examined did not have a "Made in USSR" stamp on the receiver.

Nice! You received extremely good value for your money.

aetius

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
yeah i thought i did good too, but i was kinda depressed that i didnt have any more cash for the 1943 small date font tula in a laminated stock along the right side wall by the guy with the supressors. that rifle was practically grabbing my leg when i walked by

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
what specific pics do you want me to take?

·
Silver Bullet member
333 Posts
Pacomdiver
That was me buying those rifles. I ended up getting them for $275 + tax each. The dealer was clueless with had he had. After i pay for them i told him that the rifles were M27, his reply: they all look the same to me. I was suprised that nobaby else got them first cause i had few people looking at them. Btw i was the guy with the Spike's Tactical hat. Here is my experience on another forum :http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=95010

i picked a 1935 hex tula (nice deep tula stamping) SCW for $125, no flaming bomb stamp but had the made in ussr stamp and someone bought the 2 1934 tikka m27's that were there for 300 each, one had a F stamped barrel, a guy was asking if he could do any better one the pair and the vender said "those are rare sako made rifles, thats why they are 300 each" and there were no ex-snipers in the boxes eagle arms had out sat morning. there was a nice 1943 tula small date font for $130 in a laminated stock that almost followed me home but i had already bought the SCW. did you see a guy in marine digital camo pants with a camo alice pack on walking around? that was me

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
petros,
i was the guy in the woodland digital pants and camo alice pack that asked what year they were and was looking over your shoulder while you were looking at them the first time

mat,
i dont know about the SCW smaller details, just know the flaming bomb and the made in ussr stamps. i dont think the stock is right for this gun, it has a wider than normal area around the rear sight (about 1/8" gap on each side) if you look at the pic of the barrel stamps, you can see the opening. the stock is a no finger groove at the rear handguard band, a wire front sling hanger and the normal 91/30 globe front sight and it has no cleaning rod. it has a lower case "n" and a 4 on the top receiver tang. the stock is stamped cccp (shouldnt that be on a gun like my 1928 tula ?)

Hand Finger Metal
Wood
Product Material property Muffler Auto part Liquid
Shotgun Wood
Gun Rifle Shotgun Trigger Air gun

Musical instrument Air gun

·
Silver Bullet member
333 Posts
I remember you, and i m always looking for gems. Every time i go to this show i always walk with a great deals. On Sunday Eagle arms had few K31 for mid 200's(great condition A+++)
Great price on the SCW, I was also looking for SCW, from which table did you get it?

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
petros,
i was the guy in the woodland digital pants and camo alice pack that asked what year they were and was looking over your shoulder while you were looking at them the first time

mat,
i dont know about the SCW smaller details, just know the flaming bomb and the made in ussr stamps. i dont think the stock is right for this gun, it has a wider than normal area around the rear sight (about 1/8" gap on each side) if you look at the pic of the barrel stamps, you can see the opening. the stock is a no finger groove at the rear handguard band, a wire front sling hanger and the normal 91/30 globe front sight and it has no cleaning rod. it has a lower case "n" and a 4 on the top receiver tang. the stock is stamped cccp (shouldnt that be on a gun like my 1928 tula ?)

View attachment 311304 View attachment 311303 View attachment 311306 View attachment 311305 View attachment 311307 View attachment 311308
View attachment 311302
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareSCWM9130s.htm This is good reading material on SCW rifles. The gaps you are seeing may be because scw MN rifles are commonly know to be sanded. Nice rifle! Also wire sling hangers are another good indicator of an SCW rifle there are pictures of various stlyes of hangers on 7.62x54r.net

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Mat,
the gaps are too large to be sanded unless the guy sanded for a hour or so, ill post some better pics later

petros,
it was from a table along the backwall, like 3 or so from the right side corner

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
the gaps are slightly larger than 1/8" and go from the receiver to in front of the rear sight base, im thinking the stock might be finnish, judgeing by the comparing it to some of my other fin stocked ones, but they all had the finger splices, this one has none and it has no finger groove at the rear band

Wood Metal
Wood Hand Photography Metal
Metal Brass Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Wow. That is one heck of a gap there. I have no idea why it would be that way. The front sling hanger is another SCW indicator and these are apparently easy to break and are best left alone. Its usually common for the front to be missing and the rear to be present. Maybe interloper or lancebear could offfer you some insight on why the rifle is this way, they seem to be quite knowledgeable where SCWs are concerned. I suggest starting a new thread dedicated to this rifle so the pros can check it out!

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,049 Posts
Wow. That is one heck of a gap there. I have no idea why it would be that way. The front sling hanger is another SCW indicator and these are apparently easy to break and are best left alone. Its usually common for the front to be missing and the rear to be present. Maybe interloper or lancebear could offfer you some insight on why the rifle is this way, they seem to be quite knowledgeable where SCWs are concerned. I suggest starting a new thread dedicated to this rifle so the pros can check it out!
Hey Mat,

Startin' to get a bug for these, ha! I think Bob in St. Louis is the SCW rifle expert, Interloper, Coastie and many others contributed good info on the thread about my "PAGE" stamped SCW MN. Have seen another with the Made In USSR stamping on the right of the rear fixed sight base.

Lancebear

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,049 Posts
the gaps are slightly larger than 1/8" and go from the receiver to in front of the rear sight base, im thinking the stock might be finnish, judgeing by the comparing it to some of my other fin stocked ones, but they all had the finger splices, this one has none and it has no finger groove at the rear band

View attachment 312568 View attachment 312569 View attachment 312570
Pacomdiver,

Wonder if ya' have a Spanish made stock? I believe Bob posted in my thread, that they have rather crude inletting. Guess ya' can't take that front hanger off and disassemble the rifle. Think everybody who has discussed this recommends not taking the front hanger off because it breaks easily.

Lancebear

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
mustve had a brain fart when i posted i thought it was fin made,i meant to say i thought it was refinshed by the finns

the stock is originally russian, the stock has the cccp in a circle on the right side of the butt, and i think it was refinished by the fins or maybe the spanish. ive already had the front sling loop(the rear is missing on mine) off twice to clean and check out the parts. i pull them open just far enough to get them off by turning them sideways(i learned this as both of my remington m91's have the austro hungarian sling loops and didnt want to break them)

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,049 Posts
mustve had a brain fart when i posted i thought it was fin made,i meant to say i thought it was refinshed by the finns

the stock is originally russian, the stock has the cccp in a circle on the right side of the butt, and i think it was refinished by the fins or maybe the spanish. ive already had the front sling loop(the rear is missing on mine) off twice to clean and check out the parts. i pull them open just far enough to get them off by turning them sideways(i learned this as both of my remington m91's have the austro hungarian sling loops and didnt want to break them)
Pacom,

Thanks for all the info. Is the bore good and is there no importer marking? From the info have gathered on this forum, would figure the Finns never had your rifle. The story is that these rifles were imported in the late fifties and early sixties from Spain, and the Spaniards or the importer put the USSR marking on them. Does the stock have any small wood filler repairs in any of the dinks? Mine has that and have seen another USSR marked with the same thing.

Lancebear

1 - 20 of 22 Posts