Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank for looking over your carbine in a little more detail; so far, you have checked virtually ALL the boxes I suggested in my message above, and the markings match right down to the letter, don't they! Absolutely everything you have looked at indicates that you have a really pristine, unmolested carbine in as-issued condition, and the icing on the cake will be when you complete the puzzle and fill in the remaining few blanks regarding the internal components after a simple no-tools field strip. But if you have the handguard off, disassembling the remaining internal parts to see markings on slide and bolt is just a few moments away. You can already see the marking on the trigger housing, hammer and probably the sear. From what you've said so far, I'll bet they match the markings I suggested previously - a great omen!

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
ray ----- Yes after I removed the hand guard and lifted the barrel and action out of the stock, I could see the marks and stamps on other internal parts you mentioned. However I was doing all this in my lap and wasn't quite prepared to remove the internals for closer inspection. My time was getting short then due to other little honey do's at the moment. I intend to do a full field strip later today and take a few pics of the internals to post here. I really do appreciate your good suggestions and places to look for these stamps and what to look for. I'll post more details later. This little M1 Carbine has very recently taken a much more hallowed spot in my gun safe. Thanks for all your help !!!

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
ray ----- Attached below are pics of the internal parts showing the stamps that you indicated should appear on the original parts. I hope each part has the correct stamp that should indicate original mfg. The "N" stamp just behind the blade of the front sight is a little blurry but it does show up enough to tell what it is. If you see something I've missed please let me know and I'll field strip again to photograph the part. Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Only ------ Is the slide on my M1 the only pic you and the other folks looked at. I stripped the carbine down and took pics of all the stamps I could find and the only part you guys looked at or even mentioned was the slide and its stamp. If i'm unable to get any more response than a single line comment from anyone who opens the forum, why should I take the time to field strip my carbine again and take pics ???

·
Registered
387 Posts
I noticed there has been some discussion concerning the rarity of original M1 Carbines that have not been refurbished . I believe I just happen to have such a carbine. This Carbine was produced by Standard Products and is in what I believe 100% original condition including the carrying strap. The name "Standard Products" is stamped on the rear of the action and "STD. PROD" is stamped on the action's locking block on the stock. The carry strap has a black "S" shaped stamp near the front strap loop. I don't know what that stamp means. The Carb. has all the early features that include the flat bolt, two position rear sight, push button safety, no bayonet lug, cross canon cartouche on the stock and a 15 round mag. stamped "A1" on the back spine. The barrel is stamped "Underwood 43 with a flaming bomb". I've had this M1 Carb. since 1965 and haven't fired it in at least 40 years. My shooter M1 Carb. is an Inland Motors Div. with a repro folding stock. My Carb. isn't for sale but I curious to know what its value might be in today's crazy US WWII military arms market. I also have what I believe to be an original carbine carrying
I noticed there has been some discussion concerning the rarity of original M1 Carbines that have not been refurbished . I believe I just happen to have such a carbine. This Carbine was produced by Standard Products and is in what I believe 100% original condition including the carrying strap. The name "Standard Products" is stamped on the rear of the action and "STD. PROD" is stamped on the action's locking block on the stock. The carry strap has a black "S" shaped stamp near the front strap loop. I don't know what that stamp means. The Carb. has all the early features that include the flat bolt, two position rear sight, push button safety, no bayonet lug, cross canon cartouche on the stock and a 15 round mag. stamped "A1" on the back spine. The barrel is stamped "Underwood 43 with a flaming bomb". I've had this M1 Carb. since 1965 and haven't fired it in at least 40 years. My shooter M1 Carb. is an Inland Motors Div. with a repro folding stock. My Carb. isn't for sale but I curious to know what its value might be in today's crazy US WWII military arms market. I also have what I believe to be an original carbine carrying case stamped only with "US". Thanks for any comments. Photos are below.
Standard Products received lateral support parts from most of the other Carbine manufactures in 1943 and 1944. So it could be original.
case stamped only with "US". Thanks for any comments. Photos are below.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
bodes / Only ----- It most likely doesn't make any difference at this point. I remembered back about 50 years ago when I was still shooting my Std. Prod. M1 carbine the small button that locked the slide open wasn't catching every time in the small hole in the receiver on the last shot. I bought another slide, pulled the original slide out and installed the one I had just bought that held the slide back. That is the one with the "circle P" that is still in the M1 and was photographed yesterday.
I went to my gun parts box and dug out the original slide and took a photo of it just now. It has the "circle S" in the well of the slide and the number "85" stamped on the bottom of the slide. There is also the letter "M" stamped on the upper right flat edge of the slide as seen in the photo too. Take a look at the photo below. Next time I field strip the M1 carbine I most likely replace the slide that is in there now with the original slide.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
bodes / Only ----- It most likely doesn't make any difference at this point. I remembered back about 50 years ago when I was still shooting my Std. Prod. M1 carbine the small button that locked the slide open wasn't catching every time in the small hole in the receiver on the last shot. I bought another slide, pulled the original slide out and installed the one I had just bought that held the slide back. That is the one with the "circle P" that is still in the M1 and was photographed yesterday.
I went to my gun parts box and dug out the original slide and took a photo of it just now. It has the "circle S" in the well of the slide and the number "85" stamped on the bottom of the slide. There is also the letter "M" stamped on the upper right flat edge of the slide as seen in the photo too. Take a look at the photo below. Next time I field strip the M1 carbine I most likely replace the slide that is in there now with the original slide.
It's all good....I had thoughts the slide looked a tad bit fresher than the rest of the surrounding parts....My only regret now is this fine rifle is sitting in your gun cabinet and not in mine....Cheers, Bodes

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
bodes ------ Thanks for your post above. Just an hour ago I field stripped the M1 and installed the "circle S" slide. Hiding for 50 years in a parts box I figured was long enough for the "S" part. The "circle P" slide will now take its place in the parts box.

·
Registered
387 Posts
As I posted above, not all Standard Products M1s were assembled with all Std. Prod. parts. Lateral support parts came to them from most of the other M1 Carbine makers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Lateral support between the carbine manufacturers is something a lot of guys forget about… and unfortunately “correct” original carbines. I have a gorgeous mid war Underwood (2.9 million) that is textbook.. except the unmarked Winchester hand guard.. since it looks correct with respect to wear.. won’t be changed by me as there is known lateral support between the 2 manufactures.

I’ve seen guys really screw up some good carbines because of their lack of understanding of the manufacturing processes on them.. Case in point.. really early QHMC rifles where guys mistake the flip sight locator punches for the adjustable sight staking.. they assume incorrectly someone had removed an adjustable rear sight.. and then try to reinstall one.. or assume the rifles are restorations

I’ve bought some really nice original carbines as a result

See below

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Is6 ----- You have a couple very good looking M1 Carbines there. What is the mfg's. name on the receiver ??
Marine ---- Did you read my most recent post on my Std. Prod. carbine? I dug around in my parts box and located the original slide with the "circle S" stamp in the well. That original "S" slide was changed out about 50 years ago because it would not lock back in the small hole in the receiver. I bought a replacement slide (the one with the "circle P") and installed it in the M1. The "P" slide would work as the hold open. As of yesterday I field stripped the M1, pulled out the "P" slide and reinstalled the original "circle S" slide into the Std. Prod. M1 carbine. It is now 100% matching original parts everywhere. No lateral support parts anywhere in the M1.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Those 2 are Quality Hardware Machine Corporation rifles.. QHMC only made receivers and since they were a Chicago company.. and near Rockola .. they used a lot of Rockola parts in their manufacturing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Is6 ----- You have a couple very good looking M1 Carbines there. What is the mfg's. name on the receiver ??
Marine ---- Did you read my most recent post on my Std. Prod. carbine? I dug around in my parts box and located the original slide with the "circle S" stamp in the well. That original "S" slide was changed out about 50 years ago because it would not lock back in the small hole in the receiver. I bought a replacement slide (the one with the "circle P") and installed it in the M1. The "P" slide would work as the hold open. As of yesterday I field stripped the M1, pulled out the "P" slide and reinstalled the original "circle S" slide into the Std. Prod. M1 carbine. It is now 100% matching original parts everywhere. No lateral support parts anywhere in the M1.
Yes I did Big, but I had posted it originally before your last post. No one commented, so a looked and it added as part of your earlier post. I couldn't fix it, so I reposted it later.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts