Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there has been some discussion concerning the rarity of original M1 Carbines that have not been refurbished . I believe I just happen to have such a carbine. This Carbine was produced by Standard Products and is in what I believe 100% original condition including the carrying strap. The name "Standard Products" is stamped on the rear of the action and "STD. PROD" is stamped on the action's locking block on the stock. The carry strap has a black "S" shaped stamp near the front strap loop. I don't know what that stamp means. The Carb. has all the early features that include the flat bolt, two position rear sight, push button safety, no bayonet lug, cross canon cartouche on the stock and a 15 round mag. stamped "A1" on the back spine. The barrel is stamped "Underwood 43 with a flaming bomb". I've had this M1 Carb. since 1965 and haven't fired it in at least 40 years. My shooter M1 Carb. is an Inland Motors Div. with a repro folding stock. My Carb. isn't for sale but I curious to know what its value might be in today's crazy US WWII military arms market. I also have what I believe to be an original carbine carrying case stamped only with "US". Thanks for any comments. Photos are below.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sandlapper, bodes, astack 18 ------ Thanks you all for your comments and the estimated value of the Carb. The bore and muzzle are very good, the muzzle is mirror bright. I'm not up very much on terminology for carbines so please enlighten me on "a high wood stock" . Sand -- I remember those days when carbines were going for $19.95 from the DCM. Sure wish I'd gotten one back in the mid 60's like you did. However I did pick a very nice Springfield M1 Garand from DCM for as I remember $92.00 in the early 90's.
I was issued a M1 Carbine when I was a guest of Uncle Sam's army back in the mid 50's. I sure liked the little piece back then. I had to turn it in and was issued a M1 Garand after a few months. I missed that little carbine tho.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Good for you! Almost 90 and still very active in the community!

My grandfather is the same age as you. Served over in Germany in the US Army with the 3rd Armored Division during the mid 50s

He told me he was trained on the 1911, grease gun and M1 Carbine. Much the reason why I am pursuing one to add to my collection. I’m sure he’d love to handle one again

Thanks for sharing this piece!
astack18 ------ Thanks for your comments above. Yeah your grandfather and I must be of the same vintage and I'm sure he would like to handle and shoot the M1 Carbine as much as I do. I reload for my shooter piece (not the one in the pics) and it is great fun to make a couple old shot up propane bottles ring on my range. When my old buddies and their wives and kids come out to my range and shoot my shooter carbine, they just can't put it down. You'd better pick up a M1 Carbine while they are still available. Good WWII shooter pieces could be in excess of $2K by this time next year.
I was in the 8th Infantry Div. and the 5th Army Div. back in my Army days and remained here in the US for 2 years. We were told right after the Korean War was over that if hostilities started up again in Korea we would be among the first to be mobilized and sent over to Korea within a couple days. That never happened, at least not yet. I'd still be ready to go over if they sent me a notice. In my civilian career with the Dept. of Defense I spent 8 years in Korea and some of it within a couple miles of the 38th Parallel.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ray ------ Thank you very much for your description of stamps and marks I should look for on the outside surface of the external pieces, without field stripping the carbine. Here is what I've found on the external surface of various parts :
1. The left side of the mag. catch has the letters "SW".
2. The left side of the flip sight has the small letter "s". (The letter has what appears to be square corners.)
3. The front sight has the letter "N" just behind the blade.
4. The crossed canons stamp does appear on the right side of the stock and the large letters "S-HB" do appear on the sling cut out in the rear of the stock. The letters "S-HB" also appear on the left side flat of the wood hand guard.

To check out the stamps on the inside parts I'll have to field strip the carbine. After I do that I'll post again to let you know what I find. I do appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to list all the marks to look for in & on my Std. Prod. carbine. And yes I appreciate your generous offer you show above for the carbine. But as you mentioned it will stay in the family for at least as long as I remain on this earth. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
ray ----- Yes after I removed the hand guard and lifted the barrel and action out of the stock, I could see the marks and stamps on other internal parts you mentioned. However I was doing all this in my lap and wasn't quite prepared to remove the internals for closer inspection. My time was getting short then due to other little honey do's at the moment. I intend to do a full field strip later today and take a few pics of the internals to post here. I really do appreciate your good suggestions and places to look for these stamps and what to look for. I'll post more details later. This little M1 Carbine has very recently taken a much more hallowed spot in my gun safe. Thanks for all your help !!!

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
ray ----- Attached below are pics of the internal parts showing the stamps that you indicated should appear on the original parts. I hope each part has the correct stamp that should indicate original mfg. The "N" stamp just behind the blade of the front sight is a little blurry but it does show up enough to tell what it is. If you see something I've missed please let me know and I'll field strip again to photograph the part. Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Only ------ Is the slide on my M1 the only pic you and the other folks looked at. I stripped the carbine down and took pics of all the stamps I could find and the only part you guys looked at or even mentioned was the slide and its stamp. If i'm unable to get any more response than a single line comment from anyone who opens the forum, why should I take the time to field strip my carbine again and take pics ???

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
bodes / Only ----- It most likely doesn't make any difference at this point. I remembered back about 50 years ago when I was still shooting my Std. Prod. M1 carbine the small button that locked the slide open wasn't catching every time in the small hole in the receiver on the last shot. I bought another slide, pulled the original slide out and installed the one I had just bought that held the slide back. That is the one with the "circle P" that is still in the M1 and was photographed yesterday.
I went to my gun parts box and dug out the original slide and took a photo of it just now. It has the "circle S" in the well of the slide and the number "85" stamped on the bottom of the slide. There is also the letter "M" stamped on the upper right flat edge of the slide as seen in the photo too. Take a look at the photo below. Next time I field strip the M1 carbine I most likely replace the slide that is in there now with the original slide.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
bodes ------ Thanks for your post above. Just an hour ago I field stripped the M1 and installed the "circle S" slide. Hiding for 50 years in a parts box I figured was long enough for the "S" part. The "circle P" slide will now take its place in the parts box.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Is6 ----- You have a couple very good looking M1 Carbines there. What is the mfg's. name on the receiver ??
Marine ---- Did you read my most recent post on my Std. Prod. carbine? I dug around in my parts box and located the original slide with the "circle S" stamp in the well. That original "S" slide was changed out about 50 years ago because it would not lock back in the small hole in the receiver. I bought a replacement slide (the one with the "circle P") and installed it in the M1. The "P" slide would work as the hold open. As of yesterday I field stripped the M1, pulled out the "P" slide and reinstalled the original "circle S" slide into the Std. Prod. M1 carbine. It is now 100% matching original parts everywhere. No lateral support parts anywhere in the M1.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts