Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided I wanted a M44 and proceded to study up on them. I remember reading on at least 2 web sites that the Mosin Nagant rifles were designed so that if bolts and other parts were mistmatched, it would work just as well as if they were matching. Is this true? It kind of goes against what I've read about mismatched parts, paticularly bolts. Thanks in advance, cattle.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You would only have to worry about the bolt head because of headspace issues. But you should have the headspace checked matching or not, and if it is out of spec, get a new bolthead, until you get one that meets spec.

So yes, technically you heard right. The part that matters does not have a serial number on it. But because they are all matching does not necessarily mean that everything is ok either.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I recently decided I wanted a M44 and proceded to study up on them. I remember reading on at least 2 web sites that the Mosin Nagant rifles were designed so that if bolts and other parts were mistmatched, it would work just as well as if they were matching. Is this true? It kind of goes against what I've read about mismatched parts, paticularly bolts. Thanks in advance, cattle.
Like most M-1 Garands, these are often "mixmasters", sometimes the parts such as mag floorplate and butt pad are lined out and restamped to match the barrel. Sometimes the bolts are ground and restamped or electro-penciled to match the barrel SN.

For the most part, "parts are parts" on these and do swap out well. One caution would be to check headspace when swapping bolts.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,739 Posts
Most M44s available now are all matching (since refurbishment) anyway. You would have to spend some time looking to find one that is truly mismatched.

Of course, this is "matching since refurb," and very VERY few will have original matching parts. They were re-numbered during the last refurbishment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks

That definitly helps. Hopefully I can find a good one since the only place I can get surplus arms is at big 5 and its kind of hit and miss at that place. I was looking at a savage made No4 Lee Enfield one time and the clerk at the desk felt it necessary to regail me about how nice it was to see one that was not sent to the russians. I thought to myself, I'm pretty sure that never happened but ooooook. lol so yea it kind of made me wonder about how much they actually know about the guns they sell.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
headspace

Does anyone do the computer paper test, for headspace. Works on my k98's, Put a piece of paper on the bolt face and chamber a round, it should close, with maybe a little resistance, then put another piece of paper, it should not close. I tried this because I don't have any guages and smiths charge way to much to do it. I was noticing signs of a headspace issue on one of my 91/30's, tried the paper test and it didn't add up, I don't know what the tolerances are but this rifle doesn't seem to be quite right.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yes 1948. I just sold one. My understanding is about the same as ij70. If it's a post war M44 then it stands a decent chance of having all matching SNs and very possibly never issued. When I bought mine it looked brand new and I sold it in the same condition.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats good to hear, the one I have been looking at is a 1946 model which doesnt appear to have anything special on it which is good for me since I wouldnt want to damage anything rare, me being a little newbish to say the least.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
We were all noobs once cattle4.

It's good to see you are doing your research before buying.

Best of luck to you, and remember that Mosins breed like rabbits!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well I learned my lesson from the last gun I bought; I did everything except look up the ammo, which was 25 dollars a box which didnt go over well with the family lol. Thanks ken

cattle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts