Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd been looking for an all matched original Russian-made Imperial Nagant for some time, but as we know, they are very tough to find. I was fortunate enough to find this one which definitely filled the gap in my collection. The only "upgrade" that I believe it received was the 1909 rear site. Every part except for the rear site leaf and slider has the Sestroretsk arrow on in. Rifle is duffle-cut, so undoubtedly a WWI or WWII bring-back by a US GI. Enjoy!

Wood Magenta Office supplies Font Metal
Gas Cylinder Door Gun accessory Metal
Brown Wood Tints and shades Rectangle Leather

Wood Door Bicycle part Household hardware Gas
Wood Tire Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim
Wood Tool Font Metal Fashion accessory
Bicycle part Tool Close-up Musical instrument accessory Auto part
Musical instrument Wood Door Shotgun Metal
Brown Wood Material property String instrument Rectangle
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Shotgun Varnish

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wood Cylinder Shotgun Trigger Wood stain
Wood Door Household hardware Metal Macro photography
Household hardware Wood Metal Gas Composite material
Rectangle Fluid Metal Wood Fashion accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun accessory
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Tints and shades
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun accessory Cylinder
Wood Wood stain Natural material Hardwood Everyday carry
Wood Door Natural material Metal Hardwood
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Rectangle

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Metal Fashion accessory Wood Titanium Macro photography
Door Wood Metal Door handle Titanium
Wood Tree Shotgun Wood stain Natural material

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Wow. That’s a seriously nice M-91. Sorry I’m not a Mosin expert and can’t add any productive insight. But as a collector or WWI and earlier military rifles, from what I see….that’s a keeper for sure! Congrats on filling a hole in your collection. That’s a good feeling.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hard to tell from your 1st picture, but I think the recoil lug on a 1907 would've been the wooden type originally. The steel lug was introduced in 1910 if I remember right. Other than that, looks all original. Nice find for sure. If you can get a good smith to fix the stock you'll be in business.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hard to tell from your 1st picture, but I think the recoil lug on a 1907 would've been the wooden type originally. The steel lug was introduced in 1910 if I remember right. Other than that, looks all original. Nice find for sure. If you can get a good smith to fix the stock you'll be in business.
It does have a metal recoil lug...interesting I didn't know they originally had a wooden one, thanks.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I would say most likely a German WW1 bring back. Many of these 1891 rifles were used in the Imperial Armed forces as well as the Navy. Not all of them were German captured marked, or passed through their depot centers either. Seen a few just like these. Pretty rare to find one of these in original. Surviving the Great War, the early soviet era in the 20s and 30s, wasn't used in the Winter War, WWII, Cold war, bubba, etc. Really is something to think about it.

Hat Sleeve Military person Collar Non-commissioned officer

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would say most likely a German WW1 bring back. Many of these 1891 rifles were used in the Imperial Armed forces as well as the Navy. Not all of them were German captured marked, or passed through their depot centers either. Seen a few just like these. Pretty rare to find one of these in original. Surviving the Great War, the early soviet era in the 20s and 30s, wasn't used in the Winter War, WWII, Cold war, bubba, etc. Really is something to think about it.
Your post reminded me of a postcard photo I had in my collection, also with early features and a cool ersatz sling!
Trousers Plant Military uniform Military person Tree

Handwriting Font Writing Paper Design

Reactions: Greedo1977
1 - 20 of 29 Posts