Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an type 99 with a sheet metal attachment on the rear sight. It looks exactly like the on pictured in ROJ on page 108. This is the first one I have seen in person. Are there many out there in the collecting world? Were they only made for the Aleutian island campaighn? I was very happy to find it this weekend!

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Picked up an type 99 with a sheet metal attachment on the rear sight. It looks exactly like the on pictured in ROJ on page 108. This is the first one I have seen in person. Are there many out there in the collecting world? Were they only made for the Aleutian island campaighn? I was very happy to find it this weekend!
Please post some specifics (series, serial #), if possible.

C/

·
Silver Bullet member
15,573 Posts
The original cold weather sight lifter is quite scarce. It was likely made for use anywhere in the northern climates, like Manchuria and Korea, not just the Aleutians.

There are some fakes, so do post good picts. Raym recently posted an old thread on these sights. It should not be very far down the page, or use the search function to find it.

Nice find, very desireable.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I've yet to ever see one in person. Let's hear the full story on your find!
A fellow who lives down the road from me had one up for auction several years ago. The stock had a couple of interesting sheet metal repairs, performed no doubt by the Japanese. The nature of the repairs was such that they were easily distinguished from those done by the Chinese postwar. The rifle was a Long Island vet purchase complete with historical narrative.

C/

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Is there any way to email photos for those that are interested and not the whole world? There is an interesting feature, a metal fold, with the "real" one that a faker would probably miss. I guess on the other hand posting on the Board would educate the members on what to look for. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
res

It is a Nagoya second series. It has all the features minus the cleaning rod. Picked this rifle up at a local gunshow. This specimen was from an estate of an older collector that recently passed away. The lift has the same patina as the rest of the metal. I am sure it is not a repro. I have decided not to post pictures to keep some features private. There is picture of the lift in ROJ.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,573 Posts
Picture of cold weather sight lifter

Just so you know what one looks like, this is from the old thread.

Shouldn't give too much detail away, but illustrates the device.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts