1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aleutian Islands Flip Sight
Topic:
Topic author: JWMWITZ
Subject: Aleutian Islands Flip Sight
Posted on: 09/07/2004 09:25:38 AM
This Type 99 AA site was on an auction site (yes, I won the bid
) Note the little flip lever on the site, similar to the one in MRJ. Does anyone have one of these sites on a Type 99, and if so, what series rifle is it?

Replies:

Reply author: Ronin48
Replied on: 09/07/2004 10:20:41 AM
The 23rd comes to mind, but as Garfield says, I have a memory like a sieve.

Reply author: gwsiii
Replied on: 09/07/2004 11:49:20 AM
The ones reported are all on 23rd series'. If you add it to a rifle, and report the rifle, please make a note that it is NOT original. Thanks, Trey

Reply author: kfields
Replied on: 09/07/2004 4:13:06 PM
Nice sight combination. I've been on the lookout for a complete rifle with that sight feature but no luck so far.

Reply author: Ronin48
Replied on: 09/07/2004 4:35:55 PM
a COUPLE OF YEARS Back someone emailed or spoke to me about making these sight items. If several crop up at one time you know he followed through!

Reply author: JWMWITZ
Replied on: 09/07/2004 5:09:03 PM
Elodehombre, do you have an original one to compare this one to?

John in Charlotte, NC

Reply author: Douglas I. Kerley
Replied on: 09/07/2004 5:17:33 PM
HI; I sent an original one a couple of years ago to Don Schlickman (SP?), the guy who is reproducing the other stuff. Doug

Replied on: 09/07/2004 8:05:19 PM
I was going to contact Don. Did he ever make any repros that you know of? I have a few items on my rifles that he has made. Since Don is as ethical as can be hoped for, each repro part is marked.

John in Charlotte, NC

Reply author: byf45
Replied on: 09/07/2004 9:26:13 PM
What exactly does it do: hold the AA bars upright when not in use? Does it clip on to the top of the sight? Interesting little contraption...
JB

Replied on: 09/07/2004 9:27:00 PM

Reply author: arisakadogs
Replied on: 09/07/2004 10:17:50 PM
It's so you can raise the sight assembly while wearing gloves. Very nice find!

Reply author: RickV
Replied on: 09/07/2004 10:23:00 PM

quote: Originally posted by arisakadogs
Don't you guys have MRoJ?
It's so you can raise the sight assembly while wearing gloves. Very nice find!
BOOOOKS??? They don need no stinkin' boooooks!

Rick

Reply author: Quigley
Replied on: 09/07/2004 11:22:41 PM
Friends, some Aleutian Sight images from a Nagoya, Series 2. Please see the receiver close-up for arsenal and series.
I also made some close-ups for your inspection before cleaning so you could judge whether or not this seems to be a reproduction.
My collection notes show that I got this 10 years ago.
The rifle has mum and match bolt with non-matching dustcover, cleaning rod, monopod, plastic muzzle cover, No. 5 in MROJ:191, Type 99 Short Rifle Leather Sling with bullet hole.
Quigley
View attachment 13197
Download Attachment:
210.07 KB
View attachment 13198
Download Attachment:
201.03 KB
View attachment 13199
Download Attachment:
208.82 KB
View attachment 13200
Download Attachment:
196.85 KB
View attachment 13201
Download Attachment:
193.21 KB
View attachment 13202
Download Attachment:
185.02 KB
View attachment 13203
Download Attachment:
209.59 KB

Reply author: vis35
Replied on: 09/08/2004 01:19:09 AM
I have been on the lookout for one of these too, seeing I live up here, my collection would be incomplete with out one!
Regards from Alaska,
Jeff

Reply author: garfield
Replied on: 09/08/2004 01:55:57 AM

That is my recollection of how the Aleutian sight assists were made. Given it's patina, it would appear that yours is original, however, as is evident, it is an easy task to move it from one rifle to another. Honeycutt has a picture of such a sight attached to a rifle, however, does not indicate the series of that particular rifle.

Reply author: Nirvana
Replied on: 09/08/2004 3:20:23 PM
Whats the story and purpose of these rear sights? I dont have any books either....something made for the aleutian islands invasion? Whats the function?
Chris

Replied on: 09/08/2004 4:34:48 PM
HI Quigley; Compare the handguard of your rifle (against others) with the sight attachment and see if it is cut lower to accomodate the sight attachement. It is true that you could transfer the sight attachment to others with a longer screw to accomodate the added length but then it would ride high in the down position and look goofy. Were not talking much here. Just enough to notice. Doug

Replied on: 09/08/2004 6:44:52 PM

Are you saying that modifications were done to the upper handguard for these sights?

John in Charlotte, NC

Replied on: 09/08/2004 7:39:41 PM
HI; I don't know for sure but I would think so for it to fit properly. Doug

Reply author: Quigley
Replied on: 09/08/2004 9:07:38 PM
Clearly the Aleutian modifications have two parts. The clip is screwed into the top of the sight ladder and the handguards have been modified to fit the Aleutian sight clip.
Please note the differences in the red markings.
The first image shows the Aleutian sight upper hand guard. The handguard has had a sharp bevel cut for the clips to fit. I outline this in red marking.
The second image shows a standard handguard rounded edge, without bevel.
I do not have time until this weekend at the earliest to measure a sample of "No" series, 1 series and 2 series handguards, but I will post when I get a chance.
Quigley

View attachment 13204
Download Attachment:
231.16 KB
View attachment 13205
Download Attachment:
209.7 KB

Replied on: 09/08/2004 9:19:25 PM
This is really interesting! I have seen several different handguard shapes in my years of collecting Japanese rifles; some seem to be more rounded than others, and doubt it had to do with these flip sites. It would be worth noting whether or not rifles with these flip sites in the 23rd series have different handguards than rifles in the same series that don't have flip sites.

John in Charlotte, NC

Reply author: arisakadogs
Replied on: 09/08/2004 11:02:16 PM
Fascinating topic. I just checked my Nagoyas. My original series & 1st series don't have the bevel. From my 2nd series on, the bevel is present. I don't have any Aluetians yet

Reply author: garfield
Replied on: 09/09/2004 01:03:12 AM

quote: Originally posted by Douglas I. Kerley
It is true that you could transfer the sight attachment to others with a longer screw to accomodate the added length but then it would ride high in the down position and look goofy. Doug
Are you talking about the small screw that is found in the upper right hand corner of the ladder?

Reply author: Nagoya10
Replied on: 09/09/2004 05:07:45 AM
Looking at the pics with the attachment on the sight and folded down, it doesnt appear that the beveled area makes any difference to the attachment. It appears to lay over the uncut portion of the handguard. However the flip down A/A wings do appear to fit into the beveled area. It would seem to make no sense for the Japanese to make these cheap little stamped attachments meant for one minor theater of operation, then require handguard modifications to make it fit. It would seem just making the attachment fit over the existing handguard would be the simplest way. But since I have never had one or seen one except in these pics and MRoJ I probably dont know what i'm talking about.

Reply author: Jareth
Replied on: 09/09/2004 08:49:58 AM
I doubt these sights were made for JUST the Aleutian campaign. Probally used in China & other cold weather areas. Very interesting regarding modified handguard & particular series they turn up on.

Reply author: richigan
Replied on: 09/09/2004 08:57:52 AM
Always have felt that it is tough to get a hold of the flip-up sight to raise it, even without gloves. Seems like they almost should have put the attachment on all the rifles with flip-up sights. Shoulder a T99 and try to raise the sights, and keep your same sight picture. Its almost impossible. Also, it seems odd that the Japanese would have known to include these on attachments before they reached Alaska. Wouldn't they most likely be a field installation when they found they needed them? The Japanese only occupied these islands from the time of Midway (June 42) until approximately June of 43. An interesting article in the Nov. 2003 issue of "World War II" describes a terrible battle and conditions. Many Americans froze to death in early battles with summer uniforms, some burning their rifle stocks. The article also says "the Japanese were well dug-in, and were supplied with fur-lined uniforms and boots, kerosene stoves and sake." Excellent article titled "Assault on Attu"

Replied on: 09/09/2004 10:19:47 AM

quote: Originally posted by garfield
quote: Originally posted by Douglas I. Kerley
It is true that you could transfer the sight attachment to others with a longer screw to accomodate the added length but then it would ride high in the down position and look goofy. Doug

Are you talking about the small screw that is found in the upper right hand corner of the ladder?​
HI; Yes. And as with the others it would seem to be screwed on, then ground flush and blued. So it is done in the manufacturing process rather than added in the field. Doug

Gunboards : http://old.gunboards.com/
© 2000-2006 Gunboards

1 - 1 of 1 Posts