Gunboards Forums banner
141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
WRONG... really really really really really really WRONG
let me fix it for you
Go watch the Mythbuster gun episodes, and then watch their behind the scenes and you learn the only reason an actor actually points a gun at someone is they're an idiot or the cinematographer/director has failed to grasp the basics of their job
It's really not that important to me, thanks. I do understand you're supposed to cheat and aim to the side when possible, and let the cameras do their magic. I've seen times where that wasn't the case, most recently in The Terminal List. Couple times a handgun clearly in line with someone. Pratt on the MRI table, then when he shoots the (NCIS?) agent in his apartment. I hope those were airsoft guns, you can find them to mimic a Sig P226 Navy and a tricked out Kimber (the guns in those scenes).

BTW Mythbusters is fun, but I don't think they're experts on everything (movie props yes, firearms no). I watched Adam Savage recently on youtube talking about his personal collection of firearm props... he has a Beretta 92 from Die Hard. When you hear him discuss it, he's excited, but sounds about as knowledgeable as I would talking about helicopter parts (hint: I know nothing about that). It was painfully bad, and a bit disappointing.

It's an interesting discussion, I think it's getting too clouded with what Baldwin's personal political views are, as compared to what actually happened. My understanding of it is he never intentionally pointed the revolver AT anyone, but instead the set wasn't secure and safe. There were people downrange of him, a clear indication the director at that moment wasn't doing his job. He pulled the trigger, which may or may not have been intended for the scene they were working (he's clearly trying to say he didn't now, because he's scurrying due to the outcome). The ultimate sin is there was live ammo in the gun, which indicates that probably a DOZEN OR MORE must-do rules were broken or ignored. There's a ton of fault, not just for Baldwin, but for everyone involved. If the cinematographer knowingly placed herself in the direction Baldwin was pointing the gun (to frame the shot), then sadly she was in the wrong too.

You follow any one of those broken rules, she's alive today.

·
Registered
19,239 Posts
Like I said... It was clear that Balwin has never taken an Eddy Eagle course
as for the armorer, the previous one left, because of 'disagreements' which if you track the lines in these and the related threads, it seemed to be over safety and control of the guns
The one on the job made a statement like 'her job ended once the prop went onto the cart' seems like the set bosses got their way, and it only cost a life

·
Registered
19,239 Posts
Its a shame the scene didnt include something from the Deer hunter movie where De Niro was having to play Russians roulette, problem solved .
Angle play, shot obliquely with the gun pointed/held in front of the head
OH, and it's a PROP
as in, it can not, in any way or means hold anything that goes bang... remember about ten years ago an actor blew a chunk of his skull through his brain with a blank, "mixing up the 'prop' and blank gun"
OR - thinking a blank is like a cap gun... well he never lived long enough to find the difference

141 - 145 of 145 Posts