Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

With my interest in WW1 SMLE snipers, I followed this one to the end a minute ago. Very exciting...3***5 was very keen and stacked several bids on his own bids to continuously raise the bar and ward off any final sniping. Last second saw a GBP725 bid from an interloper, but 3***5 managed to get an additional bid on top just to seal the deal.

The scope itself was a bitzer without mounts. The original scope was an Aldis No.3 without lateral adjustment for either Purdey or H&H mounts, but has had a lateral adjustment objective lens group serial numbered to a different scope that is missing the screw on shade.

The original case is quite rare, but it is a case for an early Periscopic Prism Co. scope, not an Aldis.

Overall a great source of spares I think. To use this scope on a rifle you would need a set of original mounts. The original scope mounts such as Purdeys are verrrry difficult to make using traditional machining techniques as they have a rounded profile, but with a lot of money, who knows what could be produced with CNC nowdays.

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a couple of ww1 British scope cases in last weekends Auction here in Australia, one ALDIs and one PPCo. Or at least that’s what the descr said they were? Both passed in.
Interesting! I missed those. The case I am looking for is a canvas looking one like for the Patt14(T), but bigger so it can fit a similarly mounted Aldis scope. I know of one in the UK...

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Must admit that I was not following that auction house, but lots of the snipery type rifles were familiar from previous auctions through Roly.

The website says to make an offer on any passed-in items. FWIW, the standard issue cases for Aldis Purdey / H&H scopes with shoulder straps were obtainable in the UK c.2019 for GBP250 each.

Even at the reserve price, they might be worth it if you had the scope and no case.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Yep, lots of items passed in, maybe the prices are less the Covid tax now?? Also noticed a few items going around again. I picked up a couple of things and made an offer on another that was passed into me, but still no word. Must take a fair bit to process everything. I was pleasantly surprised by the cheaper postage up to Queensland, I was prepared for much worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts