Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Alabanian '54R can look pretty crude with folds, splits on neck or shoulder. Some lots have the Shoulder too far forward and the rounds will not chamber in some rifles (often reported as "thick rims" but it is the shoulder, not the rim that is the trouble). That said.....it shoots pretty good, not target grade, but good for practice/plinking.

Rom 8mm seems like a mild load. A bit 'sooty' as the steel cases don't seal the chamber until pressure is up..so a bit of soot comes back on the case and into the breech. Reliable and accurate enough for military ammo.

Neither of these calibers or specific rounds seem "cheep" these days... Going to pick these up from some "gun Widow" I guess?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would buy more Albanian if it showed up. It does indeed have some issues, and you might have to discard a round here and there, but it shoots pretty well, with no "sticky bolt", being brass case. I've had no splits, etc.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,912 Posts
Albie gave me splits in my mosin but it worked, nothing terribly wrong... I've never used Romy 8mm but romy 7.62x54R never gave me issues. Avoid 80's yugo 8mm though. It is very similar to the romy 8mm externally, but the headstamp is nny. That stuff has a nasty reputation of really getting stuck bad. I personally had one case stuck in my kar98k barrel for a long time until i finally pounded the bolt open with a rubber mallet and used a zinc rod + sledgehammer to pound the shell out. That was the first and only round of that caliber i shot. No problems with turk or yugo brass in my mauser. Sorry for the tangent, but best to give you fair warning.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Iv shot lots of the NNY 80s 8MM both brass and steel case never had any sticking. I say it is one of the best 8MM surplus 8MM.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Iv shot lots of the NNY 80s 8MM both brass and steel case never had any sticking. I say it is one of the best 8MM surplus 8MM.

+1. Absolutely nothing but consistently high quality for me on the '80s Yugo 8mm.

Poot

·
Registered
772 Posts
Same with what others have said about the albanian, the only complaint I have with the Romanian 8mm is in my 24/47 in the dead of winter I get a lot of gas blowing back at my face. Above 60 no problems.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Albanian is good stuff. Just as stated above, it can be ugly looking, but usually shoots pretty well. I've gotten 2.3" 5-shot groups at 100yds with my scoped 91/30, not too bad for surplus. Don't know much about the Romanian 8mm, I've got a sealed case of it, but it will probably stay that way for awhile...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Rom 8mm seems like a mild load.

I have to disagree with this. I use the Rommy 8mm in my ZB26 machine gun and have never had a malfunction. The ZB26 is very sensitive to underpowered ammo. I think the "mild load" comes from the fact that it is a much lighter bullet than all other 8mm so it does not kick as bad but it is a full power load.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wouldn't buy any more Albanian 7.62x54R - it split terribly in my guns. I wound up giving most of a can to a friend who was happier with it than I was.

I would buy more Romanian 8x57 (if I didn't already have a fair amount stockpiled) - stuff seems to work fine for me.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,189 Posts
On my first tin of Albanian, I sorted out all the wrinkly, crappy-looking rounds. Before opening the next tin, I decided to shoot up the ugly stuff - no misfires or change in performance. Anymore I just open a bundle, load & shoot - no change in POI between OK looking stuff & the ugly.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'd definitely opt for more Albanian if it was available. My M39 loved it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think they are both good ammo and sure wish i had more of each! I bought the Albanian basically for components to break down and reload for .303, but now I'm glad I never opened the spam cans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts